LEd backlight, no LEd backlight, too much data to absorb ... please help

tomana

<----- Likes the Cock
Joined
Jun 18, 2008
Messages
413
I was going to buy an open box LCD monitor but decided to hold off and wait and buy New instead. As I began reading the details of various LCD monitors I saw that many are LED backlight and quite a few are not. Some are 5ms response, others are 2ms (GTG ?)

too much data for me.

I did learn that the higher the contrast ratio, the blacker the blacks will be (and the higher the price will be as well)

What to consider for a gaming monitor ? Here's my requirements:

- native screen resolution: 1680 x 1050 or 1920 x 1080
- contrast ratio 300 cd/m2 minimum
- response time 5ms minimum
- Matte screen (though not absolutely required since I always play in a low light room)
- $250 max (shipped)
- LED backlighting or no ?

thanks for any help ...
 
Last edited:
Its not terribly difficult. LED is simply referring to the back-light. Go ahead and pickup a nice Asus, they look great and ROCK for gaming!
 
Ya i wouldn't worry about the backlight as i would the overall image quality and performance. For that you'll have to check the monitor review sites.

By the way, that contrast rating you posted is actually the brightness rating, don't get the two confused.
 
Is there anything though to LED backlit displays being easier on the eyes? I say this because recently, my eyes have been hurting more and more using my U2711. I've had the monitor for over a year now, so I acknoledge it coudl also just me getting old and my eyes not being as good as they used to be.

That being said, just tonight I went to my local best buy and apple store to take a look at their LED monitors, and maybe it was in my head, but everything seemed alot easier on the eyes to me on the 27" apple display, which i believe uses an identical screen, so the only different is the backlight really, no?
 
Is there anything though to LED backlit displays being easier on the eyes? I say this because recently, my eyes have been hurting more and more using my U2711. I've had the monitor for over a year now, so I acknoledge it coudl also just me getting old and my eyes not being as good as they used to be.

That being said, just tonight I went to my local best buy and apple store to take a look at their LED monitors, and maybe it was in my head, but everything seemed alot easier on the eyes to me on the 27" apple display, which i believe uses an identical screen, so the only different is the backlight really, no?

The Apple 27 has a completely different screen coating, there is no Anti-Glare coating. I find the U2211H coating slightly to aggressive (girlfriend has one), I have a 20" NEC WGX2, which is also glossy and I find it a lot better than anything with an AG coat.

The LED back light should make back light bleed non-existent, and should make the brightness uniformity better, but it seems that even though in theory it should give better characteristics, because of poor QC it seems that they are just as bad as the CCFL screens when it comes to uniformity and bleed.

The only area they usually excel in, are heat output (or lack of it), and low energy consumption.
 
Is there anything though to LED backlit displays being easier on the eyes? I say this because recently, my eyes have been hurting more and more using my U2711. I've had the monitor for over a year now, so I acknoledge it coudl also just me getting old and my eyes not being as good as they used to be.

That being said, just tonight I went to my local best buy and apple store to take a look at their LED monitors, and maybe it was in my head, but everything seemed alot easier on the eyes to me on the 27" apple display, which i believe uses an identical screen, so the only different is the backlight really, no?

What is the lighting situation in your computer room? If the room is too dark, that can cause eyestrain. The stores are well lit, probably much more so than your computer room.

The other related thing here is that if you have the monitor turned down to very low brightness levels, the PWM switch may have the backlight flickering at less than 200Hz, which can also cause headaches to those sensitive to backlight flicker. Since the stores are well lit, the brightness is set higher, and the backlight flicker rate is much higher. LED monitors use the same PWM switch to control brightness as CCFL monitors do.

Liggywuh said:
The LED back light should make back light bleed non-existent, and should make the brightness uniformity better, but it seems that even though in theory it should give better characteristics, because of poor QC it seems that they are just as bad as the CCFL screens when it comes to uniformity and bleed.

The most important feature of an LED backlight is that it is much cheaper than a CCFL backlight. Therefore, they end up in the cheaper monitors.
 
Back
Top