LED backlight and eye comfort

seiyafan

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 12, 2013
Messages
111
Last time I was watching movies on Eizo 2736W and I still think my old Eizo L768 which uses CCFL backlight is easier on the eyes. If the ambient light in my room is 2800K lightbulb, should I calibrate my monitor to D65 white point (6500k temp) or lower?
 
Most likely that its easier on _your_ eyes cause you're used to that CCFL backlight. But then there is more dark blue light coming from WLED backlights so calibrating to lower colortemp could be beneficial. Personally I like warm whites regardless. Much easier on _my_ eyes. Like 5500K.
 
Get a antec 6 bias light kit it works wonders for eyestrain day and night I can't live without one.
 
Get a antec 6 bias light kit it works wonders for eyestrain day and night I can't live without one.


While the concept is good, and I am happy that it met your standards, I advise readers to read the disproportionate amount of one, two, and three starred negative reviews that the Antec product received on Amazon . Virtually all of the negative comments pointed out that the light was not bright enough and the adhesive backing is insufficient to keep the LED light strip glued to the back of your display. It also requires being plugged into a USB port. And importantly, it is designed for displays up to and including 24 inches only.

As an alternative perhaps one might want to experiment with a small desktop lamp that has a widened, swiveling, hooded shade such as this , or a goose necked one such as this behind your monitor.
Face the lamp toward the wall behind your monitor, and tilt the shade so that the light projects onto the wall. Should you elect to choose a lamp that utilizes a halogen or incandescent bulb then you can utilize a bulb of whatever luminance you desire.

When selecting your lamp consider a lamp whose base is dark colored and not reflective. This one appears to meet the criteria.
If not then simply lay a dark colored cloth over the base. As for the hood, it is not a concern as your monitor will be blocking its view.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I didn't think the 6 light unit would be big enough for my 27", so I bought the Soundscience version for televsions, run it up one side, across the top, and down the other side. It's plenty bright but not too bright, and it's been stuck in place for a month now with no issues.

Hard to go wrong for $12 on sale from Amazon (it's about 20 bucks now). Bonus, it has an inline power switch.

Makes a huge difference in eye comfort.
 
For not-color-critical use, why not just use F.lux or something like it?
 
I use a floor lamp (pointing up at the ceiling) in my room, would a desk lamp be better? And the bias light seems to be for a dark room, does it make a lot of difference if the room is reasonably lit?
 
I use a floor lamp (pointing up at the ceiling) in my room, would a desk lamp be better? And the bias light seems to be for a dark room, does it make a lot of difference if the room is reasonably lit?

You aroused my curiosity, I pointed a goose necked floor lamp toward the ceiling. It diffused a greater breadth of light than my desk lamp did. Both the desk lamp and the floor lamp looked good to me. I suggest trying both and see which you prefer.

I also tried using the desktop and floor lamp at the same time. Combining the two produced less starkness than did either one used alone, I found the overall effect to be quite pleasant.
 
Last edited:
For not-color-critical use, why not just use F.lux or something like it?

I used to use it, until I installed bias lighting.

Lets face it, if you dropped the coin on quality monitor, fucking up the colours just feels wrong, and you do need to fuck the colours up to get any real benefit from F.lux.
 
Back
Top