Leaving list of recommendations when leaving an IT shop?

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
I've often made recommendations at my current place of work, which usually get shrugged off. Some recommendations such as always having a spare critical item such as a monitor for when one blows, or getting rid of common logon accounts, or getting fire sprinklers replaced with a FM200 system in the PBX room which has lead acid batteries, stuff like that. They'll usually just go "meh" and never think of it again. Lot of these are to improve security, safety etc.

I'll be leaving that place soon (well I hope.. been waiting for months), and I've been thinking of just writing down a list of things I have recommended while I was there and just leaving it behind, maybe even email it directly to the IT manager in my farewell email, or giving it to my coworker. Basically if it's in writing, I can't say I've never told them about it, when a situation arises. It may also make them think better of me.

Or, could it somehow backfire? They could always turn around and say "why didn't you say that before?" etc even though I did. I'll be working for the same company, just different department, so if they somehow used it against me they could still go to my company. I can't see how they could use it against me though... but maybe I'm overlooking something.

I can easily just say F them and not bother, but I don't know, I just feel like I should do it. It's a hospital, and I hate leaving that place knowing some of the very sketchy stuff there that could put someone in danger. The IT manager there also thinks I'm incompetent, so I think that would maybe get a point across that I actually know my stuff. They could also maybe even be held liable if a situation happens, they knew about the problem, and failed to fix it.

None of this stuff would actually get done, mind you, but at least it would have been put in writing.

What are your thoughts?

Theres no email chains that include your recommendations?

This is step one in covering your ass. If you see something wrong, you document it. Later when it becomes a major problem and you get to have an "I told you so meeting".

Most was verbal, so yeah, that holds nearly no value. Basicaly it would just get shrugged off on the spot with "we don't have money" or something. Some may possibly be via email though. Though the thing with this IT manager is he could easily turn that around. Say I email him about it, he never approves it, then it does go wrong, he'll freak out and blame us for not fixing it even though we knew about it, and then we try to defend by saying he never approved it and that does not go far. Yeah, he's a real ass like that.

Don't forget that even if you send him that e-mail he doesn't have to show it to anyone. If something goes wrong and it was on your list they can still just feign ignorance on the situation and blame you.

Feel free to send the e-mail but send it to a couple people also. I would send it to a co-worker (in IT, if there was one) and the person who is above your boss - even if they are non-technical they will have it in their inbox.

Regardless, the best way to leave an IT position is not on a negative note, send the e-mail a week or so before you go and make sure your documentation is great. Make sure it is all updated, print it out if possible, put it in a binder along with a CD/flash drive of the files - make that part of your last interaction and that is what they will remember you for. You won't be the negative person telling them everything that is wrong and you leave in a 'charitable' method kind of passing the torch so to speak.

Was thinking that too, maybe just the fact that all my documentation is up to date will be good enough, I might just forget the list as yeah it may be taken negatively.

Unless you were directed to do something unsafe, then there is no necessity for making sure they have the information. No you can't idly let unsafe things happen, but if !@#$ hits the fan, your boss is the one that gets cooked, not you.

If you are sincerely hoping some of the changes you want will be implemented, then leave it with the other co-workers - they are the ones that will have to champion it. If you are just looking to stir $#!@ up, then send it to the CEO or Board - if eloquently worded it will get a lot of attention.

You can also ask for an exit interview with HR.

Unless you were directed to do something unsafe, then there is no necessity for making sure they have the information. No you can't idly let unsafe things happen, but if !@#$ hits the fan, your boss is the one that gets cooked, not you.

If you are sincerely hoping some of the changes you want will be implemented, then leave it with the other co-workers - they are the ones that will have to champion it. If you are just looking to stir $#!@ up, then send it to the CEO or Board - if eloquently worded it will get a lot of attention.

You can also ask for an exit interview with HR.

SpaceHonkey's right on these points - but sometimes realistically, it's not always this neat.

Firstly, the person that the IT Manager/Supervisor (as far as exec-level management is concerned, anyway) blames is the one who gets the boot, unless the manager's incompetence is seen by those very same executives. Or unless the person being blamed can make his/her case (requires proof of some kind - e-mails, reports, etc).

Secondly, if there are workers in the department complaining - why should it be your responsibility to bring it to management's attention? It's often the norm in these situations that the person who is thinking ahead and making the recommendations is tagged as a "trouble-maker".

What's the trouble?
Your suggestions will cost money; money being spent = bad.
Your suggestions will make the manager look stupid for not planning. Hurt ego = bad.

If everyone has a complaint, but you find yourself as the only person communicating it to your superiors - then don't bother to lift a finger.

If your coworkers want to take a proactive approach and you feel morally compelled to create this list, then you may consider going ahead. Follow your organizational structure as outlined by HR, send the list of recommendations and the reasons for them to your manager, a colleague and to someone relevant in the tier of management above your department. A well worded, brief and most importantly neutral executive summary - your suggestions are to assist since you're leaving the department. Prepare for any possible backlash (hurt ego, remember?)

The alternative:
Ensure that all responsibilities as outlined in your portfolio were fulfilled, your documentation is up to date. You've taken the time and filled in your colleagues on using any systems that they may now have to manage, et cetera.

The icing on the alternative approach, build a file. Try to accurately recall dates and incidents that could have been avoided. Find what e-mails you have and save/print them.
Make this file easily available in the event that you get complaints.

TL;DR :eek:
1. Go for the list, make sure it's done well, send off, prepare for possible backlash.
-OR-
2. Make sure you did the job you were assigned to - tie up those loose ends. Forget about recommending a damn thing. Cover your ass.

End of the line - Cover your ass. There's a reason they're called recommendations and not acquisitions.You're leaving, but if you have written proof (via email) that you've tried to suggest these recommendations, then even if the blame falls onto you, show them the proof. If youre suggestion falls on deaf ears, there's nothing you can really do about it. When you send your recommendations, always send it to more than just your boss, send it to your co-workers too, so if they have any input, they would reply to the email (hopefully).

Back