Leaving Case Open + temp Question

TicTac

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I have been wondering lately whether to leave my case open or not. It lies down by my desk, and putting the side of the case on raises temps by about 6C with the CPU going from about 29 to 35C and the MB similar. I know this is not a significant change but nevertheless, 29 is better than 35. . (these temps are when idle). My cables are not very clean. It is not in a position where it could be kicked or damaged but I am worried about dust. It is on the carpet so could pick up reasonable amounts of dust, how much of a problem can this cause in a computer? Or should I just use compressed air and give it a good blow every now and then?

Just one extra thing as well: My room temperature is around 20C but if I boot the computer and go straight into BIOS, my mb temp is around 30C, does this mean that the mb temp is off by like 10C? How come its 10-15C hotter than the room surroundings as soon as its turned on?

Thanks for any advice on these two things.

You should clean your case out regardless of the door being on or off. Cases are designed to have there doors on them to maximiz air flow. So in saying that, I would say leave the door on. As to why there is a temp difference with the door on or off it hard telling. Could be due to big ribbon cables or alot of wiring restricting air flow. Could be the way that hardware is mounted in the tower. Could be because the temp reading is closer to your processor.

Not sure on your bios temps vs room temp.

Back