Leaving a computer outside

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
If you don’t feel like reading the back-story, you can skip to the last paragraph.

My friend lives out in the middle of nowhere, like in the middle of a forest. He has had dial-up for the longest time, and they just made broadband available, but its way expensive there. Anyway, his neighbor that lives not so far away said that he could use his net if he wanted to via WiFi. Their houses are far enough apart that you can’t really connect to it directly from my friends house. Netstumber will see it on and off, and sometimes windows will let you connect, but it never gets an IP. If I take the laptop outside, even to his front porch, it works (still very weak though). We tried using a belkin range extender and put it outside hanging off a tree, but it didn’t work that well. We could connect to the range extender fine, but it seemed like there was a problem with the net between the first AP and the range extender.

Finally we got the idea that we would just put a computer outside, within range of the access point, run a cable in to his house from that, and then bridge the wired and wireless connections. We took his old dell, loaded it up, and changed a few things to make it a little more headless-friendly. We put it outside, under the corner of his house that is closest to his neighbors, then we ran the USB wireless adaptor up the wall and sat it on an elevated position, then covered it loosely with a bag

It’s been about two days so far, and the computer seems okay so far. The dell isn’t that old, so we’re going to use that for a week or maybe more till I can throw together more of a basher out of spare closet junk. I’m not really worried about the computer getting messed up out there; I’m really just concerned with getting him good stable internet for a long time. It works GREAT right now, but I don’t really want to have to put a new one out there every month or whatever.

How long can someone expect a computer to last outside? They have a TV outside under an overhang and it’s been there for a long time (years) and it still works. What could potentially be a problem? He lives out in the woods, so spiders are everywhere. I’m sure they are making their nice new homes in there as we speak… are spiders harmful to a computer? What about other things like dew, etc? It’s pretty well protected against rain, but that’s about it. Also, is there any computer that would be better for operation outside than another? Like would a Dell Pentium 2 make a better outdoor system than a Compaq K6-2?

Cant you just run some cat5e between the two houses? If I remember it can go for 100meters before signal loss. If its in the woods, wouldnt this be the easiet way?

Also with the outside computer, I would recommend sealing it up very well except we the air intakes are. And over every intake and exhaust have a fan running so nothing can crawl in. Maybe put a crap load of those moisture absorbing packs that come in electronic packaging in the bottom of the case.

Sejin

Well, if it's powered fine and you have no problems, radio waves travel through most materials so you can just build an enclosure for your computer or cover it with a rain tarp or anything to protect it from temperature fluctuations and the elements of course.

It should be perfectly fine. Otherwise, why not just build a high-powered WiFi radio antenna/signal amplifier and use that (might even work from inside). There are instructions on how to do it on the net and prebuilt ones are sold too. Even on ebay I think. You can make one out of a pringles can or a cone with parts from radio shack.

SejinV said:
Cant you just run some cat5e between the two houses?

We thought of that. We didn't have a spool of Cat-5 with us, and the neighbor said he didn't want a cable running out of his house anyway. I've also read that it's bad to connect two houses via Cat-5, something like you're connecting the two seperate electrical grounds for each house together, and if there is any difference, it will equilize itself over the cat-5 (meaning death of equipment on both ends). I've only ever used fiber to connect buildings.

Spare-Flair said:
It should be perfectly fine. Otherwise, why not just build a high-powered WiFi radio antenna/signal amplifier and use that (might even work from inside). There are instructions on how to do it on the net and prebuilt ones are sold too. Even on ebay I think. You can make one out of a pringles can or a cone with parts from radio shack.

Yeah, we were pretty much looking for the quick, easy, and most importantly Cheap solution. We could probably build a ghetto one out of a pringles can, but that would involve not only having to buy pringles, but a new wireless card for his computer because the one he has doesn't have a place for an external antenna. We did have this belkin range extendor, but it never worked quite right.

Dew forms when warm-damp air hits cold surfaces.
As long as its running and is warm in the case then no dew will form in the case.
If its switched off for any reason its a different story.

If its going to be a P2 level system the the only case fan needed is the PSU.
Just put removable fillers on the inlets to stop bugs and stuff.

Ps. What rangeare you aiming at andwhats in the way.

Luck......... :D
u=Tigerbiten.gif

Back