Learning Server 2008

FRAGMAN BOB

Limp Gawd
I got a job working as the only IT/networking/if-it-plugs-into-a-wall-its-my-job for a smallish (30-40 users). We have one server running Server2008 for file storage,AD, and Navision hosting. I only know some of the basics from previous experience. Can anyone recommend some good learning materials books, websites, etc for learning Server2008 more?

setup a home network based around it. come up with possible situations that would need to be addressed. When something comes up at work try it at home first if possible.

It is how I learned 2003.

Yeah if you have a decent computer you can setup vmware eSXI, or hyper-v and put server 08 in a VM and a few other machines in the VM to test how things like group policies work etc.

setting up a box at home is best way to learn, i think it's what all of us do.

are you planning on runing the free 2008 server (180 trial ) to learn with ?

I have VM ware at home, I guess I'll just keep playing with that more. Was kinda hoping there would be some resources with best practices or guidelines for AD2008 and other things.

If you are looking for some books, take a look at Mark Minasi's Mastering books or any of the Administrator's Pocket Consultant books.

I would get your company to pony up for a TechNet Subscription.

Viva la TechNet! It will do WONDERS for letting you test things out without having to worry about getting keys or a trial running out while you are still testing.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm the kind of person that learns by playing. Ie create a server at home to play with, learn on it, make it do things that you may need to learn in the real world etc etc. I think you said at first you have been given the task to learn server 2008, well ask what all the tasks are that you need to learn are. Make your home server be your guinipig. learn trash the box, make it work fix it etc etc etc. I learn the best this way. ALSO remember use GOOGLE, it will help you so much, also posting on her will help too. There is so much help on this forum.

Back