Leaning Mac tech.

bigstusexy

2[H]4U
Buddy of mine just bought a mac, he is wondering what can he learn about it technically and where can he go, he is mainly looking for free info for now.

I should explain this better, we are Technicians windows and a bit of Linux experience, we want to know about learning technical information for mac's, he's purchased a New Mac book direct from apple so its Intel based and I guess the OS is the latest.

How i learn about Mac's was trial & error on software. Search for Mac forums and read as much as possible and asked questions when I ran into something I couldn't figure out on myself.

You're casting a wide net there. Can you be more specific?

One of my favorite sites for hints/tricks is Mac OSX Hints. I'm not a big fan of the missing manual books, some like them but I find them shallow and light on details.

I mean technical information as in supporting them, working with them etc etc.
Where to go to look for a history of errors
What are usual symptoms of a problem
General to advanced networking information/concerns.

Stuff like that, generally the steps to a equal technical understanding as we do with Microsoft systems.

I read the title and I was looking forward to a story of a Mac tech at an odd angle.

As far as learning Macs, Google is a good place to start. These days tampering with most Macs without a certification to do so will annihilate the warranty, so maybe getting some Apple classes and certs would help you in multiple ways.

not much difference from other unix-like OSs. So you can apply most of your "linux experience"

I read the title and I was looking forward to a story of a Mac tech at an odd angle.

As far as learning Macs, Google is a good place to start. These days tampering with most Macs without a certification to do so will annihilate the warranty, so maybe getting some Apple classes and certs would help you in multiple ways.

and the easiest way to do that is get a job at the genius bar in apple retail. they'll send you off to cupertino for training :D

I'll check out that site too thanks. I'm just looking for support ways, as far as hardware I'd assume that as long as I can diagnose there is a problem I'd let the warranty handle the work :) We do that now with our dells, if something breaks or if isn't the software its probably covered so we give our results to Dell and they send us parts with or without a tech.

Also I see my title doesn't have an r in it

Back