Leaking caps... ugh.

zandor

Supreme [H]ardness
My server box has gone through 2 mainboard/proc combos in a month, both due to hardware defects.
I'd been running a dual P3 1GHz setup for about 3 years, when one day the clip on an Intel retail sink just snapped off. It might still work (P3s are supposed to have some sort of thermal protection built in), but I figured as long as I have to take the board out I might as well swap it for an AXP board I had lying around. 2x1GHz -> 1x2GHz seemed like a fair trade, and I had a full 1GB of DDR for the AXP but only .5GB of SDRAM for the P3s.
I should have looked at that Gigabyte AXP board more closely. It ran for a few weeks, then this morning the machine was dead & wouldn't turn on. I had a look after work, and I've got leaking caps. :mad:
Oh well. Time to order some parts. I think I'll just get a cheap S939 A64 & not too pricey mobo so I can keep my ram. I usually use my previous main rig board, procs, and ram for my server box, so that should do until it's time to upgrade this dual Opteron rig. A Pentium D had crossed my mind, but those suck down too much power & the X2s are a bit more $ than I feel like coughing up.

i just saw that today on a G5 slim screen... those damn things are always in the shop for mobo replacements..

zandor said:
My server box has gone through 2 mainboard/proc combos in a month, both due to hardware defects.
I'd been running a dual P3 1GHz setup for about 3 years, when one day the clip on an Intel retail sink just snapped off. It might still work (P3s are supposed to have some sort of thermal protection built in), but I figured as long as I have to take the board out I might as well swap it for an AXP board I had lying around. 2x1GHz -> 1x2GHz seemed like a fair trade, and I had a full 1GB of DDR for the AXP but only .5GB of SDRAM for the P3s.
I should have looked at that Gigabyte AXP board more closely. It ran for a few weeks, then this morning the machine was dead & wouldn't turn on. I had a look after work, and I've got leaking caps. :mad:
Oh well. Time to order some parts. I think I'll just get a cheap S939 A64 & not too pricey mobo so I can keep my ram. I usually use my previous main rig board, procs, and ram for my server box, so that should do until it's time to upgrade this dual Opteron rig. A Pentium D had crossed my mind, but those suck down too much power & the X2s are a bit more $ than I feel like coughing up.
What do you plan on doing with the board now? you can get it recapped.

send an email to Chris at: www.badcaps.net

MD_Willington said:
What do you plan on doing with the board now? you can get it recapped.

send an email to Chris at: www.badcaps.net

It's an old Athlon board, and not a particularly good one at that. I might get tempted to try recaping it myself if I get a bit bored this winter, but I'll probably just trash it. At any rate, I need the machine back up and running ASAP. A 939 board, A64 3200+ and a money clip (silly Newegg combo... free with the proc) are being delivered tomorrow.

Back