Leaked Capacitors, MSI 6367

br0k3nman

Limp Gawd
Here's the deal. My friend got an old HP case with a mobo and 2000+ for free. We bought ram, hooked up his hard drives from his P3 and started it up. It just hung on the boot screen. I did everything to try and isolate the problem. Swapping ram, procs, PSUs, jumpers, everything. All I got was the same result.

I then noticed that there were little brown/yellow dribbles next to many of the larger capacitors. I went and read up on capacitor leakage and decided to find out who made the mobo. I RMAed the MS-6367 to MSI and we just got it back today. It looks like they sent us the same board back. It does the same hang was before. The leakage is missing from some of the capacitors and it looks like some of them might have been replaced. Other than that I am at a loss as what to do, RMA it again? Help, anyone please.

My guess is they would test the board before they sent it back. So if nothing happened to the board in shipping it might be one of the components your trying to install. I'd swap out the RAM and mayber some other components if you have them available.

Also, the old Hold the insert key down while booting has seemed to help me a lot lately. Wouldn't hurt to reset the bios with J1 (Jumper 1 on most if not all boards) to get it to start with factory defaults.

Insert key? I can't even get it to post. I've tried AGP cards, different ram in different slots, PCI cards. Everything, nothing. I've reset the BIOS jumper many a time.

br0k3nman said:
Here's the deal. My friend got an old HP case with a mobo and 2000+ for free. We bought ram, hooked up his hard drives from his P3 and started it up. It just hung on the boot screen. I did everything to try and isolate the problem. Swapping ram, procs, PSUs, jumpers, everything. All I got was the same result.

I then noticed that there were little brown/yellow dribbles next to many of the larger capacitors. I went and read up on capacitor leakage and decided to find out who made the mobo. I RMAed the MS-6367 to MSI and we just got it back today. It looks like they sent us the same board back. It does the same hang was before. The leakage is missing from some of the capacitors and it looks like some of them might have been replaced. Other than that I am at a loss as what to do, RMA it again? Help, anyone please.

They probably replaced the bad caps with another version of the same crappy caps. You should look at the FET's and inductors on the board, either a toroid or a satnd up stype inductor. The FET's and coils can burn up with bad caps.

See mine..
http://p199.ezboard.com/fk7s5amotherboardforumfrm10.showMessage?topicID=1654.topic

MD

If thers still warranty..RMA it again ...write a letter to them ! what else ?
And if they dont fix it next time demand a new one.Its no favior..its included in the prize
when you buy it...you payed for it

Back