League of Legends

Sky15

2[H]4U
Does anyone play LoL? For the longest time I was a hater; even though, I never played it and always heard how toxic the community was. I finally started playing it (I'm pretty bad right now) and I'm actually having fun, I really like the strat involved and all the champs. Not to found of the Masteries and Runes, but I like the items you can buy. It sorta reminds me of a pseduo MMO.

I know I'll never be MLG level since I'm old and my twitch skills are slow right now, but it's a lot of fun.

MOBAs are fun, there is a reason so many people play them.

With that being said, the only reason LoL made it so big is because it was free 2 play when its only competition (HON) was not. In every regard HON is a better game.

If you do not have a vested interest in LoL and you don't play with friends, I suggest at least giving DOTA 2 and HON a try. They are all free 2 play so the only thing it would cost you is time.

If you try HON make sure to play midwars , it gets rid of the whole boring time wasting laning jungling phase and gets straight to 5v5 team fights. Its a lot funner.

MOBAs are fun, there is a reason so many people play them.

With that being said, the only reason LoL made it so big is because it was free 2 play when its only competition (HON) was not. In every regard HON is a better game.

If you do not have a vested interest in LoL and you don't play with friends, I suggest at least giving DOTA 2 and HON a try. They are all free 2 play so the only thing it would cost you is time.

If you try HON make sure to play midwars , it gets rid of the whole boring time wasting laning jungling phase and gets straight to 5v5 team fights. Its a lot funner.

i think it helps that LoL focused more toward the casual player then HoN and DOTA did.

midwars is basically the ARAM mode that's in LoL if you ever played that, sky15.

Does anyone play LoL? For the longest time I was a hater; even though, I never played it and always heard how toxic the community was. I finally started playing it (I'm pretty bad right now) and I'm actually having fun, I really like the strat involved and all the champs. Not to found of the Masteries and Runes, but I like the items you can buy. It sorta reminds me of a pseduo MMO.

I know I'll never be MLG level since I'm old and my twitch skills are slow right now, but it's a lot of fun.

season 1, 2, and some what season 3 runes played a bigger difference, but now they are so subtle that it doesn't really matter. they really only effect the early game, level 1-3. the only rune that matters past that is cool down per level blues but you only use them on a handful of champions. masteries can have a larger effect but still not game changer if you mess them up(except maybe jungle).. my recommendation is not to touch runes til you hit level 30. as far as the community goes it's like any other F2P game, some people care about the community and some people just want to be complete morons because theres nothing stopping them from making a new account if they get banned.

Last edited:
I've tried both HoTS and DOTA 2 and didn't find them as fun as LoL. I know DOTA 2 is way more strategic than both, but I found the hero's boring and generic. I do like the custom games and mods though, I wish LoL had those announcer packs, like the Rick and Mority one.

HoTS just seemed boring to me, I know it's suppose to be much easier to get into, which it is, but it's almost to a fault because it loses its competitivness like LoL or DOTA which in turn kinda makes it Meh. I do like the Blizzard iconic hero's though.

I just found LoL more fun in general, and I like their Champs better and art style.

If you want a hardcore competitive MOBA then play Dota 2.

If you have a life, don't like waiting 50 minutes for a game to end that was over at the 20 minute mark, don't want to have to memorize mundane crap like items, builds etc, and just want to straight team fight and hold map control. Then play HOTS.

HOTS has everything whipped for what most video gamers are truly looking for. Some won't admit it as they want to think of themselves as elite but I moved over from Dota and it is nice to be able to play 2-3 games an hour instead of maybe one. Also the actions starts from the get go.

If you want a hardcore competitive MOBA then play Dota 2.

If you have a life, don't like waiting 50 minutes for a game to end that was over at the 20 minute mark, don't want to have to memorize mundane crap like items, builds etc, and just want to straight team fight and hold map control. Then play HOTS.

HOTS has everything whipped for what most video gamers are truly looking for. Some won't admit it as they want to think of themselves as elite but I moved over from Dota and it is nice to be able to play 2-3 games an hour instead of maybe one. Also the actions starts from the get go.

HoTS was just boring to me, and I'm not even a huge MOBA players. I just had the most fun with LoL when I tried out all three.

With all due respect how is it boring? You skip the teadious crap like farming/last hitting and get to go straight to team fight/map control.

The map objectives keeps each game different.

LoL has just as much, if not more hardcore competitiveness as DOTA 2.

yeah no it doesnt. The Mechanics are no where near as complicated nor the item choices. Not the mention LoL has yet to have multiple 10 mil+ tournament prize pools...

yeah no it doesnt. The Mechanics are no where near as complicated nor the item choices. Not the mention LoL has yet to have multiple 10 mil+ tournament prize pools...

This. Dota is the top as far as MOBA is concerned.

It is just shit for PUB/PUG play.

Wrong, I have played both. I used to play in competitive tournaments for the original DOTA as well, which DOTA 2 is basically the same principles. The mechanics and items in LoL are just as complex as DOTA 2. The difference is, in DOTA 2 there is a bigger punishment for missing something and thus a much bigger balance issue in teams over small mistakes. It is far easier to just steamroll in DOTA 2 than LoL. Which actually makes LoL in the end more competitive, because you have to constantly be working as a team to finish the game and not rest on the steamroll wagon.

Also to those talking tournament prizes...you need to rethink that statement. Valve has one major tournament that has a huge prize, outside of that all the other tournaments are far smaller, have limited participation and have been half hazard in their execution. On the other hand, LoL actually has leagues and tournaments throughout the year that lead into their main tournament. Also it encourages far more competitive players because players can start making money earlier coming into competition. In DOTA the top 50 players make 90% of all the cash. It doesn't breed nearly as much competition in that regard. Also teams in DOTA 2 are constantly overhauled year to year, many of them only popping up in time for the main tournament. LoL on the other hand has much steadier teams and you actually get to see a lot more teamwork and preparation in League matches. You also can more easier follow your favorite teams throughout the entire year and not just for the main tournament. There has been a lot of grumbling and dissent growing in DOTA 2 for years now over their tournament scene, and it looks like Valve will soon finally start to fix that, but currently its a mess.

Also, let's not forget that LoL has more official game modes that provide diversion and a whole other set of strategy, while DOTA 2 really still only has the 1 mode. Not to mention LoL still outpaces DOTA 2 in players by 10 to 1. A larger player base typically breeds much more competition and then really shows how skilled the top players have to be.

Wrong, I have played both. I used to play in competitive tournaments for the original DOTA as well, which DOTA 2 is basically the same principles. The mechanics and items in LoL are just as complex as DOTA 2. The difference is, in DOTA 2 there is a bigger punishment for missing something and thus a much bigger balance issue in teams over small mistakes. It is far easier to just steamroll in DOTA 2 than LoL. Which actually makes LoL in the end more competitive, because you have to constantly be working as a team to finish the game and not rest on the steamroll wagon.

Also to those talking tournament prizes...you need to rethink that statement. Valve has one major tournament that has a huge prize, outside of that all the other tournaments are far smaller, have limited participation and have been half hazard in their execution. On the other hand, LoL actually has leagues and tournaments throughout the year that lead into their main tournament. Also it encourages far more competitive players because players can start making money earlier coming into competition. In DOTA the top 50 players make 90% of all the cash. It doesn't breed nearly as much competition in that regard. Also teams in DOTA 2 are constantly overhauled year to year, many of them only popping up in time for the main tournament. LoL on the other hand has much steadier teams and you actually get to see a lot more teamwork and preparation in League matches. You also can more easier follow your favorite teams throughout the entire year and not just for the main tournament. There has been a lot of grumbling and dissent growing in DOTA 2 for years now over their tournament scene, and it looks like Valve will soon finally start to fix that, but currently its a mess.

Also, let's not forget that LoL has more official game modes that provide diversion and a whole other set of strategy, while DOTA 2 really still only has the 1 mode. Not to mention LoL still outpaces DOTA 2 in players by 10 to 1. A larger player base typically breeds much more competition and then really shows how skilled the top players have to be.

Yeah I dont even know why im bothering with replying to this. The number of players does not equate to the skill of the pros, in any way shape or form. Teams like Navi have been around for years, and have many of the same players.

Also, Dota has had TWO tournaments in the past YEAR with over 10 million prize pools. And yes, there are multiple leagues such as the ESL which is currently ongoing with many smaller teams that dont qualify for The International or higher level LANs but can still make money playing. Also lets not forget the countless number of mid tier dota players who have climbed to the top of LoL leagues within weeks of starting to play it. The only non DOTA player i have ever seen calibrate to the 4k tier and climb is a former Starcraft 2 player who spammed a heavy micro hero Meepo.

Dota 2 laning mechanics are more complicated due to deny mechanics alone, and make every single 1v1 matchup more important than in league which leads to the team fight advantage.

Yeah I dont even know why im bothering with replying to this. The number of players does not equate to the skill of the pros, in any way shape or form. Teams like Navi have been around for years, and have many of the same players.

Also, Dota has had TWO tournaments in the past YEAR with over 10 million prize pools. And yes, there are multiple leagues such as the ESL which is currently ongoing with many smaller teams that dont qualify for The International or higher level LANs but can still make money playing. Also lets not forget the countless number of mid tier dota players who have climbed to the top of LoL leagues within weeks of starting to play it. The only non DOTA player i have ever seen calibrate to the 4k tier and climb is a former Starcraft 2 player who spammed a heavy micro hero Meepo.

Dota 2 laning mechanics are more complicated due to deny mechanics alone, and make every single 1v1 matchup more important than in league which leads to the team fight advantage.

I don't know why you are replying either, as the things I stated are widely talked about even amongst DOTA 2 pro players. The complaints about the tournaments including the regularity and prize pools comes directly from their mouths. Also the prize pool for DOTA 2 is mostly crowdfunded, which means it could significantly drop or grow from year to year, while Riot maintains a steady amount. Riot does not believe in asking the fans to supplement the prize pool because it could make it uneven in some years and prefer the steady amount, not to mention they offer far more tournaments and prizes throughout the year, also at a steady amount.

Also 1v1 matchups are more important, but team mechanics are more trivialized by the snowball effect of a single player. And the laning is not more complicated due to deny, laning is different in the games and each has their own effect. The jungle is much more complex in the LoL because of the buffs, timing and importance of control in the map. Individual lanes and roles in DOTA 2 are more important because of control of each lane individually and the importance of starting off strong and not getting behind your lane opponent. In DOTA 2, one player can snowball and practically control the whole game, that is much harder to do in LoL.

And if you want to talk about popularity, just start looking at the viewership for the main events. The viewers for LoL's world championship are astronomically higher than those for DOTA 2. In any case, this thread was started by someone asking about League and then people started putting in comparisons, it is only fair to start pointing out correct comparisons between the different MOBAs instead of shilling for one or another. You can talk about tournament prizes all you want, but that doesn't help someone who is looking to have a good time, and for most people LoL is much more fun and easier to play for beginners because of the player base size, the tutorials, the different games modes, etc.

Back