intercollector
Gawd
- Joined
- Aug 5, 2003
- Messages
- 530
Ok, I've had a hell of a time trying to get a video card for my system.
Initially, I preordered an ATi X800 XT PE from ati's website. It seems that that card will take quite a while to get to me, so I searched for another one.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything out there cheaper than what I preordered the XT PE for (I used the 10% discount off of MSRP).
It was just taking too long, so I searched for a 6800 GT, but I couldn't find many in stock for much cheaper. Finally, I chose the Leadtek A400GT due to it's apparantly very good cooler and the game bundle.
All was good until I got the card.
Threw it in and noticed my benchmarks were low right out of the box. I then noticed that the damn thing is clocked at 350 core, 450 memory. I know for a fact that this isn't the normal clock speeds for this card. Then I realized a tiny sticker on the box that says "350MHz GPU, 450MHz Memory". This is absolute crap and false advertising on Leadtek's fault (I really don't think it was the retailers idea since it is a retail Leadtek box).
The question now, is what do I do? I can return the card to the retailer, who will probably charge me shipping both ways. Or I could try to contact leadtek and see what I can get from them. But even after that, I'm probably going to end up paying out of my own pocket just to return this damn thing. And then if I do return it, I'm still in the hunt for a new card, right back to where I started.
My second option would be to just keep the thing and take the bullet. The memory wont overclock at all, so that isn't an option. My frame rates in games are a bit lower than what most of the reviews show it at, and it is somewhat noticable, but not to a large degree.
I know there's not much I can do, so it might be more of a rant than anything else. If anything, I hope it warns some people away from Leadtek, as they seem to have fucked me over. It's not like it was unintentional either. They knew when they weren't getting cards out due to memory (just like all of the other retailers) that demand was high and supply was low. The solution to this is definately not a lower product, especially without letting the end customer know first.
Initially, I preordered an ATi X800 XT PE from ati's website. It seems that that card will take quite a while to get to me, so I searched for another one.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything out there cheaper than what I preordered the XT PE for (I used the 10% discount off of MSRP).
It was just taking too long, so I searched for a 6800 GT, but I couldn't find many in stock for much cheaper. Finally, I chose the Leadtek A400GT due to it's apparantly very good cooler and the game bundle.
All was good until I got the card.
Threw it in and noticed my benchmarks were low right out of the box. I then noticed that the damn thing is clocked at 350 core, 450 memory. I know for a fact that this isn't the normal clock speeds for this card. Then I realized a tiny sticker on the box that says "350MHz GPU, 450MHz Memory". This is absolute crap and false advertising on Leadtek's fault (I really don't think it was the retailers idea since it is a retail Leadtek box).
The question now, is what do I do? I can return the card to the retailer, who will probably charge me shipping both ways. Or I could try to contact leadtek and see what I can get from them. But even after that, I'm probably going to end up paying out of my own pocket just to return this damn thing. And then if I do return it, I'm still in the hunt for a new card, right back to where I started.
My second option would be to just keep the thing and take the bullet. The memory wont overclock at all, so that isn't an option. My frame rates in games are a bit lower than what most of the reviews show it at, and it is somewhat noticable, but not to a large degree.
I know there's not much I can do, so it might be more of a rant than anything else. If anything, I hope it warns some people away from Leadtek, as they seem to have fucked me over. It's not like it was unintentional either. They knew when they weren't getting cards out due to memory (just like all of the other retailers) that demand was high and supply was low. The solution to this is definately not a lower product, especially without letting the end customer know first.