• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Leadtek 6600GT fan problem

Spacetrucker

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
65
In the last couple of weeks I have noticed a bizarre noise coming from the inside of my case, that sounded like a car engine or something. It only happened on startup so when I switched the machine off and restarted, all would be well. In the last few days though it has started doing it out of nowhere and even when I switch the machine off it doesn't necessarily stop when I start up again. Bizarrely though, it stops when it wants to too.

I took the case cover off and have discovered it is the fan on my Leadtek 6600GT AGP video card. When the noise occurs, the fan is spinning extremely slowly and as a result the temp(I measure it with Speedfan) of the card gradually creeps up beyond 50c, it's usually in the mid 30's. When it stops, the fan spins at it's normal speed. I took the card out and it looks perfectly normal, it did have a lot of dust on the fan but after cleaning it and putting the card back in the problem still persists.

As it happens, I'm getting a Sapphire Radeon AX1950 Pro to replace it next week anyway, but I was going to sell this one on. Can it be the fan has just decided to crap out after 2 and a half years of wear and tear? Like I say, I'm replacing it anyway - but is there anything I can do to fix it between now and then?
 
I've also noticed that it always seems to stop doing it at a certain point, usually when the temp gets to around 53-54c :confused:
 
Anyone? I know it's a bit of an outdated card these days, but if there's any chance I can fix it in order to sell it on I'd like to know :)
 
Now the fan is constantly making a loud noise, but the temperature is staying pretty low :confused: I'll probably just throw it out when I get my new one.
 
Back
Top