• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

LCDs running different resolution other than native resolution

Zatos

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Messages
158
I have a question for anybody that uses their LCD in lower/higher resolutions than its native resolution. Does it look a lot worse? I will get one here maybe soon... but I have not seen/heard anything about how the screens look outside of their native resolution. I will do a lot of gaming and I'm sure it will most likely be at less than the the native resolution and its not supposed to look as good. But by how much?

Thanks :D
 
it's not real bad.

mine is 1600x1200 and i can run 1024x768 without it looking too bad.
 
Running the native resolution is going to be your best bet. Anything below that I believe will be your biggest cause of ghosting.
 
I run WoW lower than my native res and don't have any ghosting effects on my 9300. Unfortunatly I can't speak for 1st person shooters as I really don't play them.
 
It really depends on the screen. Also, its not physically possible to run at higher then native rez on an LCD. There are only so many dots there for you to use. When you go lower, it has to scale it up. Some monitors, like the Dell 2405, have pretty good scaling routines. Others, not so much. The only reason I mention the Dell is becauseI own one and its scaling is one of its strengths. It has plenty of other issues you can read about in other threads.

One thing though, stick to a aspect ration preserving scaling method, or some monitors allow you to put black bars around the image so that it does no scaling at all. It just puts the screen smaller in the center of your monitor.

Also, its not that scaling up causes more tearing, it just magnifies the tearing thats allready there.
 
Don't basically all monitors today have the same basic scaling routines? I have an older ViewSonic and I don't see any difference between the scaling provided by the monitor and the scaling provided by my NVIDIA 6800GT.

What would be better, monitor-based scaling or the scaling on the graphics card?

Running anything other than native res results in a blurry picture. For games it dosn't much matter, for desktop use I would not stray from the native resolution unless the DPI is very high. The greater the DPI on the display the less noticable the scaling is from lower resolutions.
 
Some things definitely scale better then others. Thats why there are all those uber expensive upscaling DVD players.

As far as which would scale better....<Shrug> if you have a digital connection to your monitor it is purely dependent on who has the better scaling algorithm. If you are running an analog connection, I'm not sure. The fact that you can get line noise might make it preferable to scale the source image when its in its original digital form before you send it to the screen. However, I really am not sure on this one.

As someone else mentioned, I would not run my desktop at anything other then native if you want a sharp image. I'd really only use it for games and movies.
 
For anything that uses mostly text(internet browsing, etc.) your definitely going to want to stick with native, but I can say the games dont really look that much worse when scaled down.

I always run at native when possible, but when I cant, I drop it down and it looks fine.
 
Okay, thanks everyone for the info. One last question: I'm looking at getting the Samsung 930BF (19" 4ms)... anybody personally used this monitor in games, and also at less than native resolution? If it's good, this is the one I think I'd like to get.

Thanks again!
 
Back
Top