LCDs larger than 21" without input lag?

Cat

n00b
I just used two Samsung 244Ts, and felt input lag. My 2001FP at home is a little worse, while the four Dell 2005/2007s here at work exhibit no lag at all.

I'd really like to buy a new large monitor to replace my two 2007s, but I can't stand input lag. Any suggestions?

I found that I pretty much cured input lag on my Acer F-20 by switching from a MS wireless optical to a Razer Diamondback 1600dpi. I know that wireless inherently has some lag even on crt's but since I switched it seems much more responsive....a 2000dpi Razer Copperhead would probably be even better.

My Acer 2423 has zero input lag. If you want, I think there are 2 or 3 review threads for that Acer, you can go check em out. It's got like 48 5/5 eggs on newegg, and practically everyone on here who has one is in love with it.

joemama said:
I found that I pretty much cured input lag on my Acer F-20 by switching from a MS wireless optical to a Razer Diamondback 1600dpi. I know that wireless inherently has some lag even on crt's but since I switched it seems much more responsive....a 2000dpi Razer Copperhead would probably be even better.

Dpi doesn't matter, update frequency does, and I believe it depens on whether it's old mouse-port or usb. Besides, that doesn't relate to monitors lag.

The Acer AL2423 has been measured at 20ms and 25-40ms *input* lag in two different places. That's not no input lag but it is low input lag.
This is not the same as or even related to refresh rate.

Cuthalu said:
Dpi doesn't matter, update frequency does, and I believe it depens on whether it's old mouse-port or usb. Besides, that doesn't relate to monitors lag.
Well, in any case switching mice did the trick or me...of course that could have more to do with going from wireless to wired.

I would be really interested in lag figures for HP L2335. The new NEC displays as well, but for purely academic reasons :(

-=PESTILENCE=- said:
My Acer 2423 has zero input lag. If you want, I think there are 2 or 3 review threads for that Acer, you can go check em out. It's got like 48 5/5 eggs on newegg, and practically everyone on here who has one is in love with it.
I'm using a logictech g5 laser mouse, and have it set at 2000 and notice what seems like random bursts of input lag with that monitor. It could just be an issue with the cord causing movement restrictions though. I haven't been able to really narrow it down. Sometimes the cursor seems to want to "stick" for a split second.

Best deal above 21" is Sony PremierPro SDM-P234 23" for only $650 ... this monitor is S-IPS and went for $1200 just six months ago. Sony is probably blowing these out because they are getting ready for faster overdriven AS-IPS. So really thats best monitors to wait for.:)

tightline said:
Best deal above 21" is Sony PremierPro SDM-P234 23" for only $650 ... this monitor is S-IPS and went for $1200 just six months ago. Sony is probably blowing these out because they are getting ready for faster overdriven AS-IPS. So really thats best monitors to wait for.:)
Or they could be blowing them out because they are getting out of the computer monitor business. ;)

You'll be waiting a loooong time for those new Sony's..

joemama said:
Or they could be blowing them out because they are getting out of the computer monitor business. ;)

You'll be waiting a loooong time for those new Sony's..

Sony? Out of the monitor business? No sh1t? Did it freeze in hell too?

tightline said:

I thought overdrive was a cause of input lag.

Cat said:
I thought overdrive was a cause of input lag.
Not at all.. all overdrive is is overvolting the panel to so LC's move faster.. reducing motion blur, not input lag.

Input lag is caused by how fast panel reads/updates from graphics card and all the delay of asociated rendering electronics in between card and actual panel.

Apart from monitor, it's also caused by slow mouse and VSync ON.

Sorry, I meant crappy implementations of overdrive are suspected to increase input lag. People on the forum seem to suggest that panels with overdrive electronics tend to have worse input lag.

Even a slow mouse doesn't compare to the input lag I've experienced.

tightline said:
Not at all.. all overdrive is is overvolting the panel to so LC's move faster.. reducing motion blur, not input lag.

Input lag is caused by how fast panel reads/updates from graphics card and all the delay of asociated rendering electronics in between card and actual panel.

Apart from monitor, it's also caused by slow mouse and VSync ON.

Overdrive is a small component of input lag because it causes the monitor to take more than 1 frame / refresh to redraw individual pixels (if you read an explanation of how overdrive works, you'll see what I mean.) 1 frame delay for a pixel = 16ms input lag (@60hz). Add to that image processing, noise reduction etc on a not very fast ASIC and you get the bad input lag we're seeing on some monitors. Large monitors = more pixels for the slow ASIC to process = more input lag.

Back