LCD3090WQXi

TigerLord

[H]ard|Gawd
Is this still a viable 30"?

As a photographer I've been trying to find a monitor that can give me good color feedback but also great gaming performance on a 30in platform. This monitor has gotten amazing reviews and comments from sites and peers alike.

I was wondering if people had first hand experience with it?

It's a very good monitor - I certainly recommend it. The main things that I don't like about it are the large amount of heat it generates, and the incorrect reds in sRGB mode. Some people are bothered by the low contrast (blacks aren't great), some backlight bleeding at the top, and the glow at an angle, but I'm not bothered by any of those personally. I like the sharp text, and it performs fine in games. sRGB mode is a really nice bonus (most wide-gamut monitors don't have it), even if the reds aren't right and you can't really calibrate the sRGB mode.

One thing that I'm concerned about with this monitor in the long run is the tilt mechanism for the vertical angle of the panel. This panel is very heavy. On one of my units (I have six of these), the monitor gradually droops (i.e. the panel starts facing down a little bit) and I have to keep straightening it to make the panel vertically straight. I don't know if it's a peculiarity of that particular unit, or if the mechanism isn't strong enough in general. It wasn't like this when the monitor was new, but it started doing it after a while.

I had a similar problem with two Samsung 243T monitors that I have (where it's clearly a design flaw), and it was very annoying. It's sometimes stupid little things like this that can ruin a product... I hope it's just a problem with a single unit. IMHO, this whole vertical tilt feature is a waste - I don't quite see why anyone would want it, but if they have it on such a heavy panel, they should at least make sure the mechanism is very strong and tight, and won't loosen with time. Once it starts drooping, it's a surprisingly serious problem!

Last edited:
I mean I'm sure an Eizo would perform better but the I'd have to dish out another grand on top of the already premium price NEC wants for this unit...

What would you recommend to calibrate it?

Get the Spectraview version and it will come with a colorimeter and calibration software.

I mean I'm sure an Eizo would perform better but the I'd have to dish out another grand on top of the already premium price NEC wants for this unit...

What would you recommend to calibrate it?

I got the colorimeter and software from NEC. Bear in mind, though, that you can only calibrate the native wide-gamut mode with their software on this monitor.

I have the Eizo CG301W as well, and it performs better in some ways and worse in others. It has a better sRGB mode which can be calibrated. It doesn't generate as much heat at the brightness level that I use (100cd/m2). It also has less backlight bleed, no glow, the contrast is much better (better blacks), and the tilt mechanism seems stronger and tighter. On the other hand, it has a fan that makes some noise (noticeable only if you have a silent computer), it has gamma shift (doesn't bother me, but bothers some people), and text is less sharp than on the NEC (this is my biggest problem with the CG301W).

Since you seem to be techsavvy are there similar models you'd prefer over the LCD3090WQXi?

Since you seem to be techsavvy are there similar models you'd prefer over the LCD3090WQXi?

No. I believe the NEC and the Eizo are the best 30" monitors available right now, and each one has its strengths and weaknesses as I mentioned above - I use each one for different purposes.

Back