LCD TV -vs- LCD PC Moniter

diefathin

Weaksauce
Well, When i was looking a 21'' 's to 24" monitor and was window shopping for a long time on the sites (call that screen shopping :p maybe better).

Sometime, LCD TVs is selling much cheaper than a LCD PC moniters. TV had bigger size, better Contrast Ratio, TV Tuner, all kind of input, HDTV already and usually come with a remote, speakers.

:confused: Should you think LCD TVs better than a PC moniter.??????

Definitely not. They're only cheaper because they have lower resolutions. They're all 1366x768 while your 20" LCD monitor is 1680x1050 and your 24" is 1920x1200. That makes a huge difference when used as a PC monitor.

LCD TV's generally use consumer grade parts and electronics which are not made to last as long as a PC monitor normally would be. This will be reflected in the warranty which is usually 1 year on a TV and 3 years on an LCD PC monitor.

I prefer CRTs.

I must confess, however, that using a 26 inch Aquos over the summer as a monitor, was quite neat.

Resolution is an issue. (Not so much with text though, as ClearType really worked great to clean that up, even sitting kind of close...)

Anyway...

travbomb said:
LCD TV's generally use consumer grade parts and electronics which are not made to last as long as a PC monitor normally would be. This will be reflected in the warranty which is usually 1 year on a TV and 3 years on an LCD PC monitor.

not sure where you got this info from but that cannot be more further from the truth. BOTH are made from consumer grade parts hence, sales to consumers, and warranties are manufacture based, most generally offer one year with options to purchase more. never heard of lcd pc monitors offering standard 3 yr warranties. the difference in price reflects the different usage of 2 prodcuts. lcd tvs are made to view tv progamming, movies, dvds, hence the specs for lower res to comply with materials, while lcd monitor are made for pure computing needs, such as text and graphic intense applications. I use a 32" lcdtv for my computing needs and tv, movie viewing, while its not as great for reading text or web browsing compared to my 24" lcd, its much superior when it comes to watching tv and movies. and vice versa, the 24" sucked when it came to watching tv but better when used for computing which is what its designed for. you can't say which is better because they're built for different purposes. just like you can't say a car is better than a motorcycle just because its more expensive, it all comes down to what you're using it for.

Outrigger said:
not sure where you got this info from but that cannot be more further from the truth. BOTH are made from consumer grade parts hence, sales to consumers, and warranties are manufacture based, most generally offer one year with options to purchase more. never heard of lcd pc monitors offering standard 3 yr warranties. the difference in price reflects the different usage of 2 prodcuts. lcd tvs are made to view tv progamming, movies, dvds, hence the specs for lower res to comply with materials, while lcd monitor are made for pure computing needs, such as text and graphic intense applications. I use a 32" lcdtv for my computing needs and tv, movie viewing, while its not as great for reading text or web browsing compared to my 24" lcd, its much superior when it comes to watching tv and movies. and vice versa, the 24" sucked when it came to watching tv but better when used for computing which is what its designed for. you can't say which is better because they're built for different purposes. just like you can't say a car is better than a motorcycle just because its more expensive, it all comes down to what you're using it for.

You obviously have only looked at consumer LCD's. The vast majority of Business / Enterprise grade LCD's on the market come with 3 year standard warranties, some 4 and even 5 year standard now. Not sure what brands you have been looking at.

From working for a manufacturer I can tell you that there is a HUGE difference in the electronics and parts that go into a 32 LCD TV (consumer grade) versus a 32 LCD Monitor (commercial). Hence why the consumer will have a 1 year warranty and the commercial a 3 year warranty.

Most Samsung monitors, which I think are one of the post popular brands have warranties that are typically 3yrs.

Back