LCD TV versus PC LCD

MTXR

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello All,

I had a discussion with one of my finance professors a few weeks ago. He just purchased a 30 inch Dell for his office. It was amazing the amount of desktop space he has.

We came to some discussion about how he thinks it might not be a good deal to get a PC LCD and you might as well get a 32 inch tv or even bigger for the same price.

The PC LCD does cost more than a similar size 32 inch LCD TV or whatever type of "insert some type of technology" tv.

Could someone help me out and explain the advantages of purchasing a 30 inch PC LCD versus a similar size TV at a cheaper price?

If there are none, then i don't see why i shouldn't just buy some big 40 inch tv and use it as a monitor and save some cash.

30" Monitor Pros: resolution, dot pitch
Cons: price/size ratio, higher res means you need more video card

If you use your PC mostly for work, the 30" is probably a better choice. If you use it mostly for gaming or HTPC like I do, the HDTV will serve you well. I'd like higher res but for my application size matters more. Like Stalin once said, sometimes quantity has a quality all its own. :)

TVs tends to be 16:9 aspect ratio only. Assuming it's 1080p, it will be smaller resolution than 1920x1200 LCD monitors and because they tend to have larger inch sizes, it also means that they have larger dot pitch. The result is that it won't look as nice sitting so close to them than a LCD monitor. LCD TVs also may have higher input lag although it varies from set to set so if you do decide to go with that.

Shouldn't be too much difference than a LCD monitor since the resolution difference isn't that big.

Back