LCD TV + PC = Black Screen!

dj_2004

Supreme [H]ardness
Recently purchased a 61" Panasonic LCD TV. Wanted to see how my pc games would look on such a big screen so I hooked it up via VGA (has no DVI input and I do not wish to purchase a DVI--->HDMI cable just to see how it looks). I can see everything fine till the PC stops loading Windows XP. The screen loses signal and goes black. I'm not sure why it does this. I searched google/forums/TV manual. The manual states it needs to be running at VGA400/480 (640x480) and when I boot the PC up it does say VGA400/480 so I have no clue what's going on. Maybe my PC cannot run at 640x480? Specs of said PC are in my sig. Tv is same as the one here. (Except mine is 61") Thanks!

Also forgot to mention I use a DVI--->VGA adapter since the 7800gt only has DVI outputs.

What's your resolution set to in Windows? Like, if it's set as 1280x1024 (like mine), it'll run at 640x480 on the loading screen, then switch to 1280x1024 when Windows is done loading. Try setting it to 640x480 with a PC monitor hooked up to it, then plugging it into the TV.

make sure your refresh rate is at 60

is that a widescreen tv? might wanna get ahold of your manual and check the max resolution and set it on your PC before hooking up the LCD.

penguin said:
What's your resolution set to in Windows? Like, if it's set as 1280x1024 (like mine), it'll run at 640x480 on the loading screen, then switch to 1280x1024 when Windows is done loading. Try setting it to 640x480 with a PC monitor hooked up to it, then plugging it into the TV.
Yep have it set as 1280x1024. Refresh is 60, TV is widescreen. Sadly it seems this monitor doesn't go down to 640x480 so I'll have to switch with my other computer's LCD to turn it down. I'm almost positive that the max resolution (for VGA, HDMI is 1080i) is 640x480 for the TV. I thought that it would automatically put it at that once the PC is hooked up, I suppose I was wrong. I'll try turning it down to 640x480 then hook it up to the TV and see what happens. Thanks for the help guys, will post results within a few hours.

Panasonic LCD. The projection TVs? I don't think they make those anymore, but when they did the native resolution was 1280x720, I think...

venm11 said:
Panasonic LCD. The projection TVs? I don't think they make those anymore, but when they did the native resolution was 1280x720, I think...
Yeah, it's a discontinued product. Basically the same one as I linked to (only difference is that is 1" larger). I tried 800x600 res a few hours ago and got the same black screen.

Well seems my other LCD doesn't go down to 640x480 either so it seems I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I may have to just a buy a HDMI cable.

i have that TV, the panasonic lcd rear projection and it works fine.

its running off of intel extreme graphics 2 @ 1024x768 through RGB (VGA)...60hz refresh...

PYROTAK said:
i have that TV, the panasonic lcd rear projection and it works fine.

its running off of intel extreme graphics 2 @ 1024x768 through RGB (VGA)...60hz refresh...
Very strange, you are using the front VGA port I assume? Also how do you like the TV? Any problems so far? Anyways your post gives me hope, I'll give it a thorough try tomorrow.

I have two versions of this TV...the older one with the speakers on the side and the newer version with the speaker bar on the bottom.

i dont' have the latest version with no speaker bars at alll...

have used the VGA on both of them and they work fine... Im using the back VGA connection for the oldest one (HTPC hooked up).. haven't tried the side one.

the newest one is resevered strickly for my xbox360 and hdtv via hdmi. so wouldn't be able to tell you the story with the VGA there.. although i feel like I have used the VGA plug on that one before and it worked fine.

good luck figuring out whats wrong!

with regard to problems...its a really solid tv i really like it! the older version had a lamp problem thought that had a panasonic recall, so my lamp like blew out after only a couple months of use....but panasonic sent me a new lamp for free...

PYROTAK said:
I have two versions of this TV...the older one with the speakers on the side and the newer version with the speaker bar on the bottom.

i dont' have the latest version with no speaker bars at alll...

have used the VGA on both of them and they work fine... Im using the back VGA connection for the oldest one (HTPC hooked up).. haven't tried the side one.

the newest one is resevered strickly for my xbox360 and hdtv via hdmi. so wouldn't be able to tell you the story with the VGA there.. although i feel like I have used the VGA plug on that one before and it worked fine.

good luck figuring out whats wrong!

with regard to problems...its a really solid tv i really like it! the older version had a lamp problem thought that had a panasonic recall, so my lamp like blew out after only a couple months of use....but panasonic sent me a new lamp for free...

First of all, let me say thank you to every poster in this thread. Lot's of great feedback. Now back to the topic! :)
I guess I got the newer revision, speakers are located on the bottom silver strip.
Alright hooking up my 9800pro computer also yielded the same results. I then used a s-video cable connected from my 9800pro to the TV and it booted to my desktop but I did not get any icons/taskbar, just the background image. Setting my drivers to 640x480 did not help. Hmm.

When you hooked it up via s video it defaulted as your secondary screen.

Its probably better that way for watching movies in and media player...

Unless of course you want to play games on it then just go into the catylist control panel and make the TV your primary.

The VGA inputs on the panasonic projection TVs are largely a novelty since they handle an extremely limited ammount of input resolutions. You need to connect it via HDMI (DVI->HDMI adaptor) or possibly component to get full resolution out of it.

Also try getting your computer setup with your regular monitor then attach the tv and enable it as a secondard display. You can switch it over to primary afterwards to play games or whatnot.

Here is my Panasonic PT50LC14 hooked up through HDMI, its running at a wacky resolution a little below 1280x720 so i can get everything to fit onscreen.
4monitors.jpg

when I used a DVI > hdmi cable, while in games some of the image was cut out of the screen. I couldnt find a way to fix it. Switching to a vga cable made everything better. I couldnt really tell a difference between the vga vs hdmi as far as quality

Thanks everyone, got it working. Set it up as a Clone (primary probably would've worked also once I set the resolution). Looked pretty good at 1024x768. All I need now is a SFF + wireless mouse/keyboard. :)

Back