LCD TV Now or Later

Gollum0000

n00b
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
49
Thinking of buying a 26-32" LCD TV. Im not sure if there is a bunch of nice new stuff coming out in the next few months, or if I should just buy now. Suggestions?

Samsung has a rating of 3000:1 on their contrast ratio which I do not believe. I read somehwere that its false and in truth is more like 800:1. Are buying no name brand TVs bad? Dont all the parts come from the same place anyways, whether it be viewsonic or samsung.
Also, any suggestions on 26-32" LCD TVs would be great. Looking to spend under 1200 bucks.
 
Well, I find that going to Best Buy or Circuit City and seeing the TVs in person always helps. Different TVs look really different when next to each other and it's important to see what you like, and at different distances from the screen.

After that you might know which brand/type you like, and which ones you don't like. Then you can price compare online vs. BB/CC, etc.
 
Ive done that. The one thing that dissapoints me about all the LCDs Ive seen is that when you look at low resolution signals (ie. nonHD tv broadcast), it looks REALLY bad. I havent seen the Sony LCDs display these kinds of signals but their Bravia KDLV26XBR1 has a 3D digital comb filter (I believe a lot of other LCDs dont have any).

Sorry if Im all over the place on this post, Ive just got a lot of questions, and Im really anxious to get a TV. But Ill be patient enough to make the right decision. Thanks for the response btw.
 
if you are going to spend $1200 on an LCD tv, might as well save up a little longer and spend $2000 on a 40+in DLP.

IIRC Costco has some name brand DLP's for less than $2000 and are bigger than 40in.
 
Gollum0000 said:
Also, any suggestions on 26-32" LCD TVs would be great. Looking to spend under 1200 bucks.

I have two suggestions

the Syntax Olevia LT26HVX and buy whichever lcd tv from a place that allows returns

Fry's had that syntax for $599 the other day (no rebates). Picture is really nice while driven by the computer. Black levels are like most other lcds, OK at best. SDTV (like almost every other lcd tv) doesn't look that hot. No built-in atsc tuner (most lcd tv's sub 30" dont' have one built in)

I've got that one and the LT26HVE in my house. I think they are GREAT for the price. Probably might be able to find one with a better picture but I don't want to pay double or triple for a slight improvement. LCD technology will continue to improve and prices will continue to drop

I suggested a store with a good return policy in case it has dead pixels or looks really bad for some reason (both of mine are fine)
 
Ultimate Electronics has the Viewsonic 2750w 27" with tuner, dvi and vga for $599 and there's a $50 MIR from viewsonic. Today's the last day though.

I just got mine this morning and am loving it! :p
 
Xeero said:
if you are going to spend $1200 on an LCD tv, might as well save up a little longer and spend $2000 on a 40+in DLP.

IIRC Costco has some name brand DLP's for less than $2000 and are bigger than 40in.

The TV is going in my pretty small room. Definitely dont have room for something that size. I was thinking maybe saving up a little more to get the 32" LCDs tho.

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
how important is 1080p/i support?

Its not. 720p is just fine with me. Ill mostly be using this for console use, maybe watching tv, and eventually maybe my computer. I read an article the other day saying that even games that will support 1080p for the ps3 will not justify purchasing a tv with those capabilities.

needmorecarnitine said:
the Syntax Olevia LT26HVX and buy whichever lcd tv from a place that allows returns
Saw this at Comp USA the other day for 500 bucks. (400 in MIR). I just couldnt do it. Heard of people complaining about the customer support from that company. I just dont feel right if I dont see that nice companies name, knowing if there is a problem they will make me feel better :) .


I went agian to best buy today to compare their LCDs. The Samsung LN-R268W and the Sony KDL-V26XBR1 both looked the best imo. The Sony was a little better, but also like 800 bucks more and no DVI (which is retarded). Any ideas on the samsung? Crap? Good?
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top