LCD Technology Not Quite there yet -

computerinfo

Limp Gawd
I finally decided to dump my 2 20" CRT monitors to be replaced by 2 LCD's. I already purchased a 20" Viewsonic VP2030b, but I now want a 22" to go along side.

This is what I want is:

- 22" LCD with 1920 X 1200 Resolution
- non-TN screen (can be s-ips or MVAor PVA, etc..)
- Cost under $400 ish

Why is this so difficult? I really just want the vertical resolution of my 20" Viewsonic (1600 x 1200) to match the vertical resolution of a new wide screen model I get. I am concerned that if I get a 1680 X 1050 I will be annoyed with the difference in vertical resolution between the monitors.

The closet monitor I have found is the Samsung 215tw, but it still doesn't have the resolution I want. I did hear of a new 22" monitor from lenevo called the L220x that will be out soon. (http://www.slashgear.com/lenovo-22-inch-widescreen-hd-monitor-an-wuxga-industry-first-177437.php) I believe this has everything I am looking for.

I know all of the features I want are available in the 24" monitors, but I don't want to spend the money and don't want the extra size over the 22" versions.

Am I asking too much? I have waited 10 years to buy my first LCD monitor and thought the technology would be more to my liking.

FYI - I will be using the monitors for Photoshop, Dreamweaver, HDTV via BeyondTV, MS Office, and Internet.

Thank you - Any information and advice you have would be appreciated.

what you are asking doesn't exist. you will not find a non TN 22" panel under $400 because it simply does not exist. also, you won't get the 1920x1200 resolution on the 22". again its just simply not out there. as to why my guess is that the lcd crystals would be too small. weather it be that its too small to manufacture at this point or if it would be a text size problem i do not know.

at the end of the day any 22" in that range is TN. all WS monitors from 20" up to 22" will have a resolution of 1680x1050. you can easily get a 22" for under $400 but it won't meet your criteria.

i'm sorry to say but with what you're asking you'll need to throw a bit more cash at it and go with a 24" as that will have the resolution you require and you can start to pick your panel type. the LG would probably be your best bet - i believe it can be had for around $500 if you shop around. i can understand budget being a concern, thats why i got a TN 24" myself. great for gaming but i wouldn't touch it with the work you're up to.

sorry to say theres not much out there for you, many people here have been complaining about the same thing. i would have rather had a nice 22" IPS or MVA/PVA myself but thats sadly just not a reality.

EDIT: took a look at that link, looks like a beautiful monitor and finally someone is making a good 22". the problem is the price. hard to justify that when you can get a 24" PVA for less. unless the enhanced colour gamut is something you really want that is.

I just called Lenovo about their L220x Monitor.....

Why am I not surprised that their sales department and customer service had never heard of the new monitor. There are so many articles on the web, but the internal employees still won't acknowledge it.

This one seem to be the first 22" 1920 X 1200 LCD. I would hope that more will follow and hopefully at a better price.

Anyone.....

Prices on 24" non-TN 1920X1200s:
Westinghouse L2410NM - $400 onsale (bestbuy and others) - MVA
Soyo 24" - $300 onsale (officemax) - MVA iirc

Issues: Both have only 1 year warranty, Soyo has quality control issues (can be problematic/might need to exchange).

Seems to match your description +2".

(I just switched to LCDs from CRTs last Saturday. Westy is shiny. I paid $500, because I got the $100 4-year-instore coverage.)

I've read the reviews on those 2 already. They are not good at all. I want a quality 22" and not a cheap and lousy 24".

That is why the Leveno seem so promissing. Hopefully others will follow.

the words 'quality' and '22"' should not go in the same sentence in this forum :p

i think either you get a 24" if you want something now or wait it out....could be a long wait.

Looks like the Samsung 215TW may be the one then. I was hoping for a better option in a 1920 X 1200 22".

Maybe a new wave of new technology.

It is obvious that the manufactures have ignored the 22" as a high quality monitor. It is a perfect size for most, but if we want quality, we are forced to pay up for the 24" or the size that goes with it.

Now, with the new Lenovo, we may now have a 22" that is worth getting. Kind of like a new version of the 215tw.

I just don't want to wait much longer.

No, it's an S-PVA:

I’ve just got this reponse from Lenovo’s Desktops & Visuals team:

“The L220X uses an S-PVA panel. That is why it is able to have such high viewing angles combined with a fast response time”

Are you sure what you are looking for is a 22'' screen?
The 23''ers were the ones to closely match the 20.1'' 4:3 screens in vertical res and DPI.
Unfortunately these have been pretty much been phased out (unless you want to pay apple tax or live in korea where these can be had for sub$400 http://daysis.com/shop/goods/content.asp?num=40&big=1&middle=0&small=0&what=&align=) and have been replaced by the 24''ers which match the 21'' which lost the battle vs the 20.1'' ones... ^^;
It's not that there have been no screens to match the viewsonic.. it's just that it's a few years to late..
you could also get a 17'' one as 2nd screen and put it on the side in portrait.

Taxidermista ,

Did they tell when it (Lenovo 22") will be available and what the cost will be?

Thank you,

If I were to give up my CRT for an LCD, I'd want something big. Size is where LCD can be an upgrade...

I use dual 21" monitors. My primary is my CRT, my secondary is a widescreen LCD. Its a good setup. I like having dual monitors and my desk couldn't hold another CRT.

I got rid of my old CRT when I first bought the 21" LCD. It didn't work out as my primary. I play a lot of dark games and do a lot of Photoshop work and the (S-PVA) 1000:1 contrast and color variations due to viewing angle just didn't cut it (TN is way worse). I agree with SH1, if you want an LCD you should get a big one. I've used 24" and 30" monitors and they are awesome. The 24" LCD's are more expensive than the 22" models because inexpensive 22" models use budget TN panels which you shouldn't even consider since you'll be using Photoshop / Dreamweaver.

Back