LCD Security measures

HRUNTING

n00b
I've decided to take my 2005fpw to my dorm in college. I want to lock it down, and don't think that one of those kensington laptop locks would really do much to stop anyone equipped with more than a pair of pliers. What other options do I have? I'm thinking of crazy-gluing a metal loop to the flat part of the back and then using a lock and chain, but I'm not too thrilled about making such a drastic modification to my otherwise very nice piece of hardware.

Do they make locks for that little laptop security port that are a bit more sturdy? What would you guys do in my situation? Thanks.

All laptop lockdown devices can be defeated super easy. Only ones that might help are the ones with alarms in case something is moved etc. alot like a car alarm.

If your college is that bad, maybe you should reconsider :)

I'm bringing my 2005fpw to college as well and I'm not bringing a kensington lock or anything else to lock it down. Hopefully....no one's gonna take it. + I think that those who would want to steal it, wouldn't know how to use it...haha...they probably don't even have a DVI port.

Not sure about other dell fps but i have the 1801 and even if the base was held in by concrete you could still pop the actual lcd panel off the stand quite easily. And how to secure the panel itself would be pretty damn tough unless you get those security things where you glue metal plates onto it and run a locking chain or metal cord through it.

If you really want your monitor to be safe, leave it at home. I've refurbished computers that had those plates that glue on, and a screwdriver twists them off in seconds, even the ones that use epoxy.

My college isn't that bad, I just love my 2005fpw that much.

I am aware that the lcd pops off the stand at the snap of a button, so I can't just tie something around the base. That's why I plan on using one of those metal plates with a loop coming out.

Then again if those metal plates come off easily, I am a) surprised and dissappointed there is no reliable way to attach metal to plastic, and b) back to the drawing board. I still have my 15" viewsonic va550...

the answer to ur dilemma is very simple - don't go to college :D

But in all seriousness - LCDs have security hold-down hole or something, I don't think it's glued to anything, it's a part of LCD's internal mechanics - like the metal sheet, which holds the LCD part in place, or the PCB, so if you yank it out, it's ruin the monitor anyways :D

I've decided to go with this kit by Belkin. I figure that even if someone pries it off with a screwdriver I'd have that nifty $500 warranty which could easily pay for another 2005fpw, or go towards a 2405.

HRUNTING said:
I've decided to go with this kit by Belkin. I figure that even if someone pries it off with a screwdriver I'd have that nifty $500 warranty which could easily pay for another 2005fpw, or go towards a 2405.

I have that same kit, have had it on my old crt and pc for years, if anything it gives me some peace of mind, and for you even if someone would consider stealing your monitor and see the metal plates and metal cord they might be deterred thinking it would be too much of a pain. Also if I were you, I would use TWO of those metal plates, both mounted on the back of the monitor and the large one mounted on a wall or desk or somewhere else. Extra paranoia goes a long way :p

Back