LCD Question

Fps_Rory

n00b
Joined
Jul 23, 2006
Messages
48
I'm looking into buying a new screen. I decided on lcd well mostly becasue thats what everyone has even thoughI I still love my crt. Anyway what should I be looking for in a screen I know about res and response time, but what is a good contrast ratio. The higher the better? What is cd/m2? The higher the better? Is there any other specs I should look at and what would I be looking for? Thanks.
 
What is you main application.

Panel type will be more of a concern the anything for the most part depending on your application. Certain apps need higher brightness (cd/m2) but others like photo work need much lower brightness. I would not put a lot into contrast ratio's. Definitely better to go look at two monitors side by side because quite often one iwth a higher contrast may not look better than one that has a lower contrast (technically higher is better though).
 
The screen will be gaming only with some net surfing. Gaming is more important though. :)
 
I have never seen an LCD that was too dim. I have seen one that was too bright. The Dell 2405 at 500 cd/m. Even when I turned the brightness to zero it still hurt my eyes. A properly calibrated screen is usually around 100 cd/m. So no more is usually just specmanship. If it has a crazy high number like 500 cd/m. I would be concerned that it might be too bright even at minimum.
 
Back
Top