LCD projection tv for PC display?

Tony123

Weaksauce
Hey all!

I'm thinking about getting this TV for my Xbox 360.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7298998&type=product&id=1118841724863

I'd bee even more thrilled if I can conveniently hook up my PC to it. My PC's gpu is currently a BFG 7800 GTX OC. Has 2 DVI connectors. Since this rear-projection tv I'm looking at has an HDMI (also a VGA) does that mean I can use it as my display?

I would either

-----Use an DVI-HDMI cable (for a digital connection to the TV)
-----and if that wont work I will use a DVI-VGA adapter so I can plug it in to the VGA on the TV

can someone around here give me any reason why this WOULDNT work out? (considering all my parts and electronics AREN'T broken or anything)

thanks for reading. Just 6 more days till 360 WOOHOO!

it is possible and many people do it.

however, allow me to get on my sop box about Sony. Apart from them becoming the McDonalds of electronics, they have questionable practices. It started in the beginning. S The word Sony was hand picked by the executives as a word that Americans could realte to. It's a variation of the word "Sonny". The corporate description has added a bogus latin word that wasn't mentioned until a year or 2 ago. http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/CorporateInfo/History/

Sony is also notorious for killing new technology. Minidisc, laserdick, blueray, superbit DVD, and the black projection screen is next. They take a great technology and poorly implement it. Then they will not sell rights to the tech to other companies for distribuition and usage, so it falls off the market.

Sony tried to sneak in some antipiracy DRM software without telling people. Now theya re running tasks ont he PC's behind our backs. worse even is that people are exploiting the poorly implement corporate spyware. Viruses are exploiting them and people have used the toolkit to crack video games.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9991596/
http://www.betanews.com/article/Lawsuit_Attacks_Sony_BMG_DRM_Rootkit/1131635264

I do believe that as consumers we can alter this kind of behavior by being selective about where we spend our money. I do not buy monster cable and I do not buy Sony. I don't even buy Sony or Sony owned music and movies.

So with all that said, I say look at Samsung, Pioneer, or even the new phillips looks nice.

I've got a rear projection LCD 52" samsung I bought open box from ultimate electronics and I love it! It is HDTV beauty... it has vga and DVI... from what I read that hdmi or whatever isn't the best for PC hook up and usually doesn't work... however the dvi is a thing of beauty... I just plugged it in.... went to my ATI control panel and they have a little section for HDTV monitors... I set it to 1776x 1000 and it gives no over scan.... perfect... and the play back of hdtv shows is wonderful.... Just so you know there are options out there....

yes cool. But do you suspect that I can just plug in and play? I mean I'm doing it now with my 27 16:9 LCD with no problem?

I just sont really want to search the web for certain programs to get the thing working.
I also agree with you about Sony and the whole trojan thing. It's wrong but the Sony TVs dont concern me, and I would rather have an LCD RP than a DLP.

sony is sony, doesn't mater if it's the tv or a cd. but I am not going to muddy up the thread with a philospohical debate.

as for your question, I think we both said it will work. as for searching for apps to make it work, you shouldn't have to. Both ATI and Nvidia have beefed up the drivers to include things like overscan correction and HDTV modes. just load the reference drivers for your vid card and tweak it. Be sure you know the native res of your TV and set the PC to that. Shoot for a TV that has a native res around 1280x720 (720p).

To answer the actual question. Maybe. I have the previous year's model (although I have read that the actual image engine and features are the same, it is just a cosmetic change). Now, I have a 9800pro and am using it with component out with no problems. Clarity and color are fantastic to my eyes, although blacks could be deeper (this is inherent with any lcd projection tv). Quake4 looked great as do my DVD's. I bought a cheap dvi to hdmi cable from geeks.com and tried to use that. I could get a good image, but as soon as I changed video inputs on the tv, I lost my computer's signal and had to reset the signal from the Catalyst control panel, or by restarting the computer. I haven't figured out if it was the 9800pro, the cheap cable, or my hdmi input on the Sony. (If I cancel digital cable and use just my hauppauge to watch tv, I can go back to the dvi cable. to my eyes it wasn't any better than the component, though.) All I know is that it didn't work, but component does and it looks fantastic to me. If you got a better cable, or the newer Nvidia card is better for this sort of thing, it may work just fine for you. I don't have the resources to do anything beyond what I have done. I love the TV. I got it at a great price from CC (1699 after a price match of a BB sale that occurred a couple weeks after I bought).

Hope this helps.

(and I think I use too many parentheses.)

ok thanks a lot guys

and IDversusEGO, I do respect what you have to say about Sony though. I know what they do with their proprietary DVDs :( but ya thanks for your concern too. I would get a samsung model but they dont make any LCD RPs that I know of. Plus this tv is extremely popular so I assume it will work out, I was also happy with the iamges at Best Buy

but w/e

thanks again everyone

Back