• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

LCD Prices Could Fall Below Cost

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
DigiTimes is reporting that LCD panel prices may all below cost again in February. Obviously the low prices are good for consumers, not so good for manufacturers.

The average selling prices (ASPs) for 17- and 19-inch panels both dropped US$5 to US$113 and US$133, respectively, in the second half of January, according to WitsView Technology. In the beginning of January, sources said the production costs of 17-inch panels for most of the makers stayed at around US$110.
 
How do they define they production costs? Because some companies uses much more expensive panels than others, provides better warranty, and provides better overall value than others.

Also, what quantity do they define @ cost at?


I don't think LCD companies would sell at a loss, that would make no sense... they simply wouldn't produce an item if they were losing money... this aint like the console business where they can pickup in software sales... they are losing money on this as a final sale.
 
Newegg seems to already have some low prices. I just saw a Viewsonic 19" widescreen with built-in speakers for $199 with free 3-day shipping and a $40 MIR. Pretty good deal, although some of the reviews say that it stretches images to fit the display instead of conforming to the content's aspect ratio.
 
Hopefully they won't start using the ol' trick of announcing a shortage (that doesn't exist) to drive prices back up.
 
Were do they get their prices from? Newegg cheapest 17" is about $150, every other place I look seems be a little more than that. Even walmart wants $170

So i'm not sure where this $113 came from for 17" LCD screens as the average price I seen is a lot higher. I can't even find 1 priced anywhere near their average.
 
Were do they get their prices from? Newegg cheapest 17" is about $150, every other place I look seems be a little more than that. Even walmart wants $170

So i'm not sure where this $113 came from for 17" LCD screens as the average price I seen is a lot higher. I can't even find 1 priced anywhere near their average.
The cost per panel can (depending on who's talking) mean only the cost for the actual LCD panel, without the frame, stand, etc. There's a set of companies that produce the panels, and another set of companies that buy these panels and build them into monitors.

I like the sound of this--I'm thinking about buying a pair of 17"ers to go on either side of my new 20" widescreen.
 
They're already pretty cheap. I manages to get a 20.1, I thik 3 ms, widescreen samsung for $170 off of newegg after a $30 mail in rebate
 
i find it funny that when intel had a shit CPU for years, they still made tones of money..
 
Does anyone know why the 24" monitors are so expensive?
Dell's 22" monitor is $296, while its 24" monitor is $674. I know the resolution of the 24" model is higher, but that's still a huge difference. Prices for 24" monitors aren't much lower on newegg.
Also, Dell's 27" is more expensive than its 30". WTF?
 
Does anyone know why the 24" monitors are so expensive?
Dell's 22" monitor is $296, while its 24" monitor is $674. I know the resolution of the 24" model is higher, but that's still a huge difference. Prices for 24" monitors aren't much lower on newegg.
It's because it's at the top end, where there are a lot fewer people interested. Those few are often willing to spend the money on it. The same was true a few years ago for 20" LCD's. But then more and more people were interested, among whom were many who weren't willing to spend $1000+. So prices moved lower to suit the consumers. Then 24" widescreens were over $1000 for a while. Now they've dropped as well, and the 30" widescreen LCDs occupy that lofty position.
 
Ha serves them right for killing CRTs prematurely...80 years just isn't enough!

Seriously though, they could have stood to keep making some of the token top-end monitors for a few more years, at least until true CRT replacements like SED came out. The best Trinitrons like the 2141SB and XBR960 still commanded a pretty penny....not as fat profitwise as LCDs, but mightve been enough to keep LCDs cash cows for longer....Maybe now they'll wish they weren't so quick to end production (actually, if just those 2 screens were still produced new, and the FW900 too, I'd be satisfied!)
 
I could sure go for another 20.1 widescreen, glad I know now prices are dropping. :)
 
Back
Top