• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Lcd panel polarization angles

chahahc

n00b
Joined
May 21, 2012
Messages
11
Hello, does anyone know what the polarization angle of va panels are? I know tn panels are 45 degrees and ips panels are horizontal but I can't seem to find the angle of va panels. My google-fu seems to be lacking. I'm asking this because i've done some pseudo experiments in the past with peeling off various layers of tn lcd panels and backlight fiddling in an effort to try to reduce eye strain. The closest i've gotten to a fatigue free screen is an incandescent backlit tn panel with the front polarizer removed and me using vertically polarized maui jim sunglasses. I'm not sure why. Maybe it was the smooth spectral distribution of the incandescent bulb or maybe the maui jims have a better quality polarizer than the monitor polarizer film, allowing better contrast levels (or something). If va panels are vertically polarized then maybe I could use sunglasses to get even better contrast levels? Or maybe I could peel the front polarizer off and have a super duper glossy screen of sorts.
 
Not sure if there is a general rule, but my PVA panel is 90 degrees off from the IPS panel next to it.

The polarization shouldn't be a major cause of eye strain. You might take a look at the list posted here and try to narrow down what affects you the most. There are several threads in this forum about eye strain that you might also want to look at.
 
Ahh thanks! That's what i needed to know.I don't think it was the polarization that was causing eye strain but the pwm, really bad antiglare coating (the monitor was from 2002), and really low contrast levels. My 27" shimian seems to be a lot better. I took it apart and cut some of the wiring on the backlight so only 1/3 of the led modules light up. So the brightness is much lower without pwm. Apparently my shimian qh270 lite has pwn when the brightness is reduced to anything less than 100%. I don't get the "needle poking eyes" type eye strain when I use the shimian, but instead more of a "foggy brain red eye fatigue" type straining. The modded tn panel didn't give me this type of fatigue. I'm trying to recreate that strainless experience, just without the need to keep my head tilted at a 45 degree angle.... =/

Also an interesting thing about the modded tn was that, when you looked at it, it didn't look like you were looking at a light source. It looked more like you were looking at a stained glass window (the lcd panel) in front of a lit paper lantern (incandescent backlight with diffuser). Almost a similar effect to those old microfilm readers that you find at libraries. Maybe removing extra layers on the lcd panel made the whole thing less blurry or something...idk
 
Interesting trick there to experiment with polarization like that. Thought I might try the incandescent thing too sometime. There are so many cheap used monitors to get out there and experiment with.

Even more interesting trick to cut one of the LED lines. A year ago I had some plans to get a cheapo monitor and mod it in a more advanced fashion by utilizing analog controlled output level on the LED dimmer. Got a bit too complicated though when trying to do modifications on a factory made PCB. Cutting a couple of lines would be much easier. :) Or rather, putting external onoff switches on them. Problem with disabling too many would be serious uniformity issues (mainly because LEDs naturally varies in intensity and they have multiple parallel lines of them to even out the differences), streaks and such. But it doesent matter that much when working with text anyway and thats when the PWM hurts the most for me.

Related Sidenote: My standing theory on how Samsung does their 'better than PWM' dimming is to dim by cycling both LED onoff and between LED lines (there are between 3-6 of them in the usual panels).

Although I think the older Shimians dont use dimming at all. They dim by reducing the signal: http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-shimian-qh270-teil7.html#Backlight
No PWM but it will have adverse effect on contrast ration when dimming. But lack of contrast should not be a problem for eye-strain. Printed paper is about 50:1 contrast in daylight. Contrast ratio is more of an esthetic preference, image depth perception etc.
 
Back
Top