• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

LCD or CRT?

donkey33

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 8, 2004
Messages
226
I'm looking for a gaming monitor. Have an FX 5900 XT.

I got told that CRT's were better for gaming but as I don't know a lot I thought I'd get a second opinion.

Price is not a problem really but I won't spend any more that around $900 AUD and I can get 24 months interest free.

So would it be better to get a CRT or an LCD for gaming?

Thanks
 
LCDs have gotten a lot better for gaming if you look at the high end ones from Dell or ones like the Viewsonic vp171 with fast response times (16 ms).

The big thing against LCDs are ghosting when viewing fast motion (like in games), but lots of forum members have reported that the newer LCDs exhibit almost no ghosting if any. Another thing is that LCDs have a native resolution that they look best at. They have to interpolate pixels to change resolutions, something CRTs don't have to do.

You have to weigh price and space when deciding. I use an NEC FP912 19 inch CRT, a very nice monitor. It cost $300 USD, but a quality 19 inch LCD costs twice as much. LCDs however, actually let you have desk space (they're only a few inches in depth, CRTs are over a foot in depth).

You have to think over that. These days, I'd like to get a secondary LCD monitor to go with my CRT; the VP171 is very nice.

Probably not the answer you're looking for, just trying to clue you in.
 
I recommend the Viewsonic P95f+b2 19" CRT. When I put it near my friend's 22" NEC 2141SBK, he went out and bought this monitor. The contrast is just great on this monitor. Games look like they were meant to be.

I had a high end one from dell before, the 1901FP, I returned that. I saw so much ghosting! In the end, you just have to see what monitor looks best to you. Some like LCDs, some don't.
 
Originally posted by sEErZer0
I recommend the Viewsonic P95f+b2 19" CRT.
I concur. Go CRT. LCDs are too expensive, and IMO a waste of good cash. Unless your filthy rich get a CRT, better color, better precision, better everything except weight and power usage (which is barely anything). And they don't cost you an arm and a leg.
 
Originally posted by Mojo
I concur. Go CRT. LCDs are too expensive, and IMO a waste of good cash. Unless your filthy rich get a CRT, better color, better precision, better everything except weight and power usage (which is barely anything). And they don't cost you an arm and a leg.

Well that's an impartial response if I've ever seen one. :)
 
Back
Top