LCD on 24x7...

Cthulhu

Limp Gawd
do you guys keep your lcd's on 24x7? is this bad to do? i know they don't suffer from burn-in, but would this decrease the lifespan of the backlight?

have you or anyone you know had a lcd backlight go out? this is my first lcd, and i've always kept my crts on 24x7. do i need to get out of the habit? :D

I have my lcd set to turn off every 10 minutes. The less you use the monitor then the longer that the backlight will last. lcds can suffer from image persistence which is the same as burn in but it's usually not permanent and can go away if you keep the monitor off for a period of time

Mine died after a year half just a week ago Its a 19 Sharp LL somethin somethin..Frys fixin it... Its mostly on whole day(a yr half) say from 10am-12midnight (sometimes over night)...Too lazy to do math so I think I got the most from it b4 it died....

I remember a negative review of a Dell 20+ inch LCD by a Hardforum member where he burnt an image on to the screen after leaving it on for half an hour.

I remember when I bought a car and it something in the dashboard was rattling after a few weeks..oh and I remember one time my cpu died after 3 years of use

I never leave my LCD on, if I leave my computer I simply turn it off. Not sure if "burns-in" the monitor though, however I assume it would obviously do some harm.

Well, a lcd backlight has a lifetime of about 20000h -> a bit over 2 years,
so yes, it's not such a great idea to keep it on when not necessary.
On the other hand frequent on/off cycles might not be so healthy for it either,
so I would say keep it on if you're just leaving for a while, otherwise turn it off.

At our dispatch center (I work at a police department), there are three LCDs at each dispatcher's station that have been on 24/7 (with two out of three displaying basically the same screen all the time) for well over a year with no issues. The three Dell 17" models we have in there still have a superbright backlight.

LCD's will lose their brightness after time. How much time depends on the maker or the LCD and you, the end user.

I get new LCD's every year or so. I never notice them getting dim. However, when I place a brand new LCD beside my old ones, it becomes very clear that my old ones have lost some brightness.

Back