LCD native resolution too high for gaming text?

EricDawg

Limp Gawd
Ok, so I really want an LCD for "work" crud (programming, text based stuff). But I love playing BF1942 at 1024x768. Any higher and the text is too [h]ard to read. I'm thinking I'd be unhappy getting an LCD for both text and especially gaming right?

I could handle maybe 1280x1024. Then again, I play other games like Far Cry and HL2 at a higher resolution at times.

What am I missing? All you guys with LCD's that game don't mind the higher resolutions? Or are there LCD's that can interpolate ok? It's sucky that at higher resolutions games don't make the fonts bigger. DUH!

I'm debating a 22" NEC CRT or a 20" LCD (Sony, Viewsonic, or Dell). I hate the size and heat put out by CRT's.

:confused:

Sounds like nobody's had issues with gaming at the higher resolutions you're stuck with, with a higher end LCD. Hmmm.

Haha what a bump.

The text on my 2005FPW (1680x1050) looks pretty much the same as the text I had on my 17" Viewsonic CRT set to 1024x768. It may sound hard to believe, because whenever I increased the resolution on the viewsonic to 1600x1200, I would need a magnifying glass.

Don't ask me how or why (maybe the Dell-installed Monitor driver also has instructions for how Windows should display the text?), but even my internet explorer displayed text at approximately the same size, unlike my CRT. So, to answer your question, feel free to grab a 20" widescreen, and feel good because your Windows will look and feel normal.

Interesting. For years I've ran 1024x768 just for larger font size on my CRT at home (17" Viewsonic). When I recently got a 17" Planar LCD at work I was surprised that the font size was just fine at 1280x1024. Unfortunately I think my favorite game (Battlefield) doesn't scale well text wise. Someone said you can make fonts bigger or smaller in City of Heroes. Seems like an obvious option to have in a game.

Maybe I'll just try a Dell and return it if it's not good enough. Or I might just get a bigger CRT for another year or so. :rolleyes:

Worse comes to worse, a lot of games allow you to adjust text size nowadays. Don't be afraid of high-rez.

Back