LCD Native resolution in games

I'm considering getting the viewsonic 2025 as my first LCD, but I'm worried that in the future, when video games require even better video cards then the one I have, that I won't be able to run games in the LCD's native resolution. Is this a valid issue? how big of a difference would native resolution make in games? I often have played newer games in low(er) resolutions to achieve higher framerates and clearer textures and what not. I'm afraid that in upcoming years I'll end up having high resolution on new games and terrible framerates just to keep it in native resolution.

Thoughts?

what kind of video card do you have now? i have a 6800 ultra and while it's plenty powerful enough to run games at 1680x1050 with AA & AF enabled, having a big display makes you power hungry, so i have a feeling i'll be building an SLI rig in the next 6 months :)

icetrey47 said:
what kind of video card do you have now? i have a 6800 ultra and while it's plenty powerful enough to run games at 1680x1050 with AA & AF enabled, having a big display makes you power hungry, so i have a feeling i'll be building an SLI rig in the next 6 months :)
you cant run every game with all the eye candy on at 1680X1050.

Cycloptersaurus said:
I'm considering getting the viewsonic 2025 as my first LCD, but I'm worried that in the future, when video games require even better video cards then the one I have, that I won't be able to run games in the LCD's native resolution. Is this a valid issue? how big of a difference would native resolution make in games? I often have played newer games in low(er) resolutions to achieve higher framerates and clearer textures and what not. I'm afraid that in upcoming years I'll end up having high resolution on new games and terrible framerates just to keep it in native resolution.

Thoughts?
you could always get a better video card.

Keep the AF skip the AA and then in 6-9 mo when better cards come out relatively cheap, you can upgrade and meanwhile you'll have a very good monitor :)

If you are going to get an LCD, then make sure you have a graphics card that can handle running your games at it's native resolution. There is no comparison between an LCD's native resolution and any other resolution running on an LCD: the only one that looks half decent is the native resolution.

I have a 7800GTX now, which I'm sure would be fine for a good while, but I'm just worried that I may be forced to upgrade my card earlier than I'd like to. I guess I'm just wondering if an LCD is really worth it.

Back