• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

LCD n00b Questions

Slartibartfast

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 25, 2004
Messages
7,280
Hey everyone, I'm looking into getting a new lcd display, but know very little about them atm (I've been using the same CRT for 5.5 years). What I am looking for is a display that I could hook up to my PC, and my PS2 without being uber-grainy (that is, something that could run at the PS2's resolution so it won't look like crap). Are there any that can do this? I'm also looking for something somewhat cheap, probably no more than $550 or so. Size isn't a big deal, I could deal with 15" if I had to. Thanks in advance!

edit: obviously, money is a concern and I would rather get a good 17" than a good 19". I don't want to buy crap, I just don't want to break the bank too bad, ya know?
 
Just make sure your LCD monitor supports S-Video input (most of the higher end dell ones do.) Just realize that the PS2 will look "like crap" on any computer LCD monitor due to the resolution difference.

You're essentially stretching a 640x480 resolution game up to 1280x1024 or higher. On a regular CRT television, this isn't a problem because it's the native resolution of the screen, but on an LCD monitor, those pixels will be huge and the jaggies are very obvious.

It's not going to make-or-break you getting an LCD, just be aware ahead of time so that you don't blame the LCD on making your PS2 show it's faults.
 
chiablo said:
Just make sure your LCD monitor supports S-Video input (most of the higher end dell ones do.) Just realize that the PS2 will look "like crap" on any computer LCD monitor due to the resolution difference.

You're essentially stretching a 640x480 resolution game up to 1280x1024 or higher. On a regular CRT television, this isn't a problem because it's the native resolution of the screen, but on an LCD monitor, those pixels will be huge and the jaggies are very obvious.

It's not going to make-or-break you getting an LCD, just be aware ahead of time so that you don't blame the LCD on making your PS2 show it's faults.

So is there any type of display that can be scaled down to 640x480 and up to PC resolutions?
 
Slartibartfast said:
So is there any type of display that can be scaled down to 640x480 and up to PC resolutions?
CRT would probably do this nicely.
 
Slartibartfast said:
So is there any type of display that can be scaled down to 640x480 and up to PC resolutions?

As long as the monitor supports S-Video input, the monitor will scale it automatically to be full screen.
 
Back
Top