LCD mod

PruBowl300

Weaksauce
Well, I finally went to Radioshack and picked up the last few things that I needed to finish my 5" LCD mod. I modded an old CD-ROM drive and used the tray and motor. I attached the LCD to the tray and wired the motor to 7 volts. I then bought a small project box and mounted a reversing switch wired to the motor. I used about three feet of wiring so that I can sit in my computer chair and control the LCD. I have two small videos to demonstrate, but I haven't posting them on the internet yet. I will take them to work and host them, and then edit this with the links. I know it is kind of hard to understand and picture without seeing it. I will post some pics tomorrow too.

Couldn't you just wait till you actually had substance to put in this thread before posting? cmon now......Unless what you are doing is revolutionary, wait till you get pics or vids, etc.

Qtip42 said:
Couldn't you just wait till you actually had substance to put in this thread before posting? cmon now......Unless what you are doing is revolutionary, wait till you get pics or vids, etc.

yeh

such a tease

I let my buddy borrow the digital camera, so as soon as I get it back from him, I will also post some stills of how I have it hooked up inside.

Qtip42 said:

Well, you got owned because it was actually totally freaking revolutionary.

Well, I saw somebody that had made a custom rail system to manually pull his LCD out of a bay, but I wanted to motorize it. I came up with this idea all by myself.

So instead of hijacking this thread with your bad grammar......talk about the mod.... I don't see it as being revolutionary, thats my opinion. Every DVD/LCD player/LCD combo ever created for a car does this.

Dude did a good job on it. Very creative. I salute him for not posting a mod about painting, blowholes, or which case to buy.

Qtip42 said:
Dude did a good job on it. Very creative. I salute him for not posting a mod about painting, blowholes, or which case to buy.

I second that salute. great job by the way, but have you tried this with the lcd on as it looks realy bumby in the videos?

JEEVES

Sweet! :D

How are you going to hook up the inputs? 2nd monitor for the video card?

It is actually already hooked up to my TV-Out on my videocard. It can be rather fast, but if you use the switch and get used to it, you can make it move in and out pretty smooth.

FIrst off I want to say this is totally cool and what I'm about to say is not to be taken as a bad thing.

It makes the computer look like it just threw up an LCD screen. Or spit it out anyways.

With that being said it's still a really awesome and fun idea.

James

how exactly did you do it again?

vids are cool but i want schematics :D

This has [H]ardness...

But one little thing: how about putting a resistor in-line with the power leads used when extending the LCD? his would make it more controllable as it would move slower, plus it would look a lot cooler.

but still... A+ mod!

if he is using a motor then the motor would probably set the resistor on fire... :eek:

what you need is a motor controller... there are a lot of simple schematics out there to do this

It is just a 5" LCD from PartsExpress that was meant for a sunvisor/headrest in a vehicle. It was $124 shipped to my house. I used the insides from an old CD-ROM. I mainly just kept the tray and motor. As for a resistor, that is actually only running on 7 volts. 12 volts was way too much, but 5 volts just isn't enough to pull the LCD back into the computer. I will put some pictures of what it looks like inside the case as soon as I get my camera back.

I am not sure, I can look into the different voltages, but I am not sure right off hand.

That's awesome, man.
You need to get creative with the aesthetics now.
Fab up a fiberglass, plastic or even aluminum casing for everything, so it all matches. Then you could start mass-producing thiese mofo's! They'd FLY off the shelves. :D

that is sweet, i love it. but now wait a month and some company is going to start selling it for n00bs that dont wanna do it and they wont pay you a cent, doesnt that suck! i hate cheming bastard of a company. Again fucking awsome mod you did there, a tutorial is a must!

FLECOM said:
if he is using a motor then the motor would probably set the resistor on fire... :eek:

what you need is a motor controller... there are a lot of simple schematics out there to do this

That's what wigh-wattage resistors are for. 5 watt models cost about 1 euro each over here, 20s go for 3 euros.

Moros said:
It takes a lot to impress me around here these days, but those videos did it! Great work.

One question though. About three years ago I bought a 5" LCD for my case. I put it in my lian li pc-60 where the floppy openings where on the front. It looked cool but the quality of the video was total crap. How is your quality? Also, can you provide a link to the screen you bought?

Again, congrats on an innovative job well done.

all video lcd's are pretty much crap becuase composite and even svideo have crap quality compared to VGA/DVI etc

I just checked the website where I purchased the LCD, but they have since stopped carrying the exact model I have. I bought it from PartsExpress.
As for the quality, it isn't the greatest, but it is still good enough to watch videos on at LAN parties. The resolution can range up to 1024x768, but it is so small that it is very hard to read anything. 800x600 is pretty much where I leave it set. I just drag Media Player or PowerDVD over to it, and watch some movies while I am surfing the net on my regular monitor.

Well, I updated my webspace with some internal pictures of the LCD mounted in the case and pictures of it coming out. I also took a picture of the switchbox. You can also find pictures of my latest project, my MAME Cabinet. My Link

that mod is sick as hell, i love it, its about time we start seeing some new stuff around here. :cool: x eleventy

Back