Lcd mod a good idea?

Silversierra

Limp Gawd
Hello all, this is my first post here, although I've read many others' posts. First, I've never done any serious case modding, but I've done small stuff like adding filters etc. I love to modify and build all sorts of things, and I'm fairly new into computers, so I figure, hey, I love to mod stuff, I love computers, why not mod computers. It would combine my two favorite hobbies, modding and computers. I do have a cheap dremel(dremel brand, but single speed) and know how to use it(I modded my one pocket knife by cutting out the center of the blade to make it skeletonized, it was hard metal).

Ok to my idea for a mod. I have no idea if this has been done before, so bear with me. I don't know if it'll work, so ideas and advise for a first timer would be nice. My idea is to cut a window opening in my side panel of my case and install a 17" lcd flat panel monitor in the side. I think this would be awesome for lan parties, then you don't have to carry the monitor. I also am thinking of attaching two speakers below the lcd(so I'd have speakers wherever I go, without carrying them. I think it'd be like adding two 80mm fans to the side panel, just putting speakers in instead of fans. It also would then get my tower off the floor(less dust on a desk surface). I don't have the lcd yet, so I want something thin(detachable from stand too) and preferrably cheap. I think it might be a good idea to install a window between the lcd and the side panel to protect the lcd from scratches and breakage, or would it make too much glare? Any input? I'm not 100% sure I want to do this, I want to do it, but cost may be prohibitive. So will it work?

The LCD will probaly heat up the inside of your case a bunch more. Also make shure whatever speakers you use are magneticaly sheilded so it doesnt cause problems with magnitism inside the case. You can also get smaller LCDs like 10" and 7" that you might wanna check out too.

Do you think it would seriously overheat the case though? If I have good ventilation would it stay cool enough. I found this monitor, is acer any good? It's 12ms which is pretty fast, has dvi, and is thin.

Sounds like a great idea! I actually thought about doing that at one point but don't have the cash to fork out on a LCD as of right now. Good luck if you end up doing it and make sure to post a worklog!!!

Hmm. I don't think a 17" lcd will work. I think it's too big for my side panel. My side panel is 15" wide(about the same as a 17" lcd width) so I probably need a 15", I have about 12-13" of useable space.. The problem is 15" lcds don't usually have fast response times or dvi, which I would like. If I do this I'll do a work log, but this may be harder than I thought. Does anyone know of a really thin 15" lcd with a response time of 16ms or better? I would like the edges of the lcd to be about 3/4" or less and the middle back less than 2" deep.

dude that's an awsome idea....measure, measure, measure. Paint your case and have a window around the lcd or something. Hide all the wires, you know the usual. I dont really think it will heat up the case too much. LCD's dont generate much heat at all. If anything just add another fan or something. Definitly post pix though.

not really a new idea, it's been thought of and implemented before, but just be aware it is not necessarily an easy mod. Most side panels for newer cases are thin aluminum, you would have to somehow add enough support to that side panel so the LCD doesn't fall off right on top of your nice 6800u and break it in 2 ;)

Can you give me a link to a thread where someone's done it before? I'd like to see how someone else did it. lcd's aren't very heavy, especially a 15" thin one. My side panel is steel, but not as strong as I'd like it to be.

Man, that's a good deal on the lcd, I might have to get one. lol.

Edit: Although that is dirt cheap for an lcd, I don't think I'll get it. It is a no name brand, no reviews, 25ms response(too slow), only 6bit(less colors possible), and no dvi. It's cheap, but I think in this case you get what you pay for.

Is this lcd ok? It's pretty cheap, $165, and it has dvi, 16ms response time, 500:1 contrast, 450cd/m brightness, 170x120 degree viewing angle. Overall it seems good (except being white, but that's ok.) It also is light <6lb, which is a plus. I think it's 8 bit, and it has speakers. It's a little wider than I would like, but I guess ok.

I have another idea. Is there any problem with mounting the screen vertically rather than horizontally? It would fit much better that way. I think theres a setting in my graphics options to rotate the display, would that work?

Back