LCD gaming

What do you use for gaming on LCDs?

• 1280x1024

Votes: 53 93.0%
  • 1280x960

Votes: 4 7.0%

• Total voters
solideliquid said:
Which resolution provides the best gaming experience on 17-19" LCDs?

Whatever the LCD's native resolution is listed as. So... most 19" LCD monitors are 1280x1024. Some 17" LCDs are 1024x768 and some are 1280x1024. There could be more native resolutions, too. It depends on the LCD manufacturer.

Agreed, native resolution for sure. But a better question would be, don't game on a LCD unless you have one with good refresh rates (8ms, maybe 12ms), because you can get better performance from a much cheaper CRT.

I still game on CRTs because of resolution, color, refresh rates and longevity. I'm still awaiting the day I see a good sale on a 19"+ 8ms refresh rate LCD monitor. Anything else isn't worth the money IMO.

1280x960 for the correct aspect ratio

my monitor native is 1600x1200 though.

Although my monitor is native 1280x1024, I'll game at 1280x960 in games like BF2 and allow the monitor to out the little black bits on the top and bottom. For games that support the native like HL2, UT2004, I will use that. I don't let the image stretch, and I don't like to run at less than native - which is why I'm always upgrading it seems like ;)

Peace,
Tim

Viewsonic VX-700 - 17" = 1280x1024

Been using it for a few years... good monitor, heat sensored buttons. :cool:

Says 25ms, but no notice in ghosting w/ games. :cool:

Im using a samsung 930b.no ghosting in game while playing bf2.

i used to have a mitsubihi lcd 25ms reponse but never noticed any problems while playing.

Native resolution whenever possible. Though I've taken a liking to 1280x720 as well, as long as it's not stretched.

Max setting of the monitor determines which rez I choose, right now untill I can get a deciet price for the 2405 I'am stuck ( not to bad though ) 27 inch lcd but it can only do 1280x768 which will get me by untill the 2405 comes down in price or something better comes along.

Steven301 said:
Max setting of the monitor determines which rez I choose, right now untill I can get a deciet price for the 2405 I'am stuck ( not to bad though ) 27 inch lcd but it can only do 1280x768 which will get me by untill the 2405 comes down in price or something better comes along.

I play COD2 and NFS MW at 1920x1200....get that 2405....you'll love it..

@OP. I also have a Philips 170B4 which, until the recent arrival of my 2405, i used to play at native...which is 1280x1024...

Xerox XR6-19DW - 19" Widescreen. 1440x900.

All about native resolution.

Netrat33 said:
1280x960 for the correct aspect ratio

my monitor native is 1600x1200 though.

That turns out not to be the case.

17" and 19" LCDs are not 4:3 displays. If you measure the length and width of the screen, you'll see they are physically 5:4 ratio. Ergo, you need to use a 5:4 resolution - like 1280x1024 - or the resulting image will look stretched.

CRTs are all 4:3, so for CRTs the 'correct' resolution in this range would be 1280x960...but most CRTs forgo this since 5:4 LCDs have been out so long that game devs just use 1280x1024 instead of 1280x960. Which, on CRTs, will make the image look a little squished.

(EDIT: There is, of course, nothing wrong with using 1280x960 *anyway* with video cards and LCDs that do not stretch the image. As another poster mentioned, you just get black bars above and below the 3d window, kind of like letterboxed movies, as the LCD is physically 1024 pixels vertically and only displaying something on the middle 960 of them.)

Okay I'm a CRT guy just cause i'm too cheap to get an LCD and I get the fact that when I buy one, which should be soon I should run the native res. I was wondering what your guys thoughts are on widescreens? and also how much of a difference does the digital vs. analog make?

MoonUnit42 said:
Okay I'm a CRT guy just cause i'm too cheap to get an LCD and I get the fact that when I buy one, which should be soon I should run the native res. I was wondering what your guys thoughts are on widescreens? and also how much of a difference does the digital vs. analog make?

At 1280x1024, digital vs analog does not make much difference. Not in the quality, anyway - you will have to fiddle more with analog mode to get the image centered, and stretch or shrink it verticall or horizontally to get it to fit right, etc. DVI certainly is MUCH easier to use.

For higher resolutions, though, it can make *quite* a difference. I had a Dell 2005fpw at 1680x1050, and the analog connection just suffered at that res. Doubled text on the screen, slight blurriness, etc. No good!

As to widescreen vs regular....depends on what you are using it for. More and more games ARE starting to support widescreen...but most do not. And many that do, don't do it properly (do not adjust the field of view). It's certainlly VERY nice when watching DVDs, though, and working on documents/images and surfing the web.

So, if you PRIMARILY use the PC for 'work' and watching movies, with a little gaming on the side...widescreen makes sense. If the 'little gaming on the side' you do happens to be only titles that DO support widescreen, and do so properly....well, then, the choice is CLEAR.

Otherwise, for hardcore gamers, I'd stick with regular 4:3 1600x1200 displays. They are actually a touch nicer for DVDs, too, than 5:4 1280x1024 displays, as 5:4 is obviously pretty 'square', and the letterboxing on movies will be VERY LARGE on these monitors. 4:3 is, at least, a little more rectangular.

(OTOH, it's QUITE important to run LCDs at native res, and in order to always play the 'latest and greatest' game at 1600x1200 with 4xAA, you will be pretty constantly upgrading each generation of video card to the highest-end one available. If that doesn't sit well with your budget, 1280x1024 displays tend to be much easier. Then, you only have to upgrade to the MIDRANGE card each generation! :p )

dderidex said:
At 1280x1024, digital vs analog does not make much difference. Not in the quality, anyway - you will have to fiddle more with analog mode to get the image centered, and stretch or shrink it verticall or horizontally to get it to fit right, etc. DVI certainly is MUCH easier to use.

For higher resolutions, though, it can make *quite* a difference. I had a Dell 2005fpw at 1680x1050, and the analog connection just suffered at that res. Doubled text on the screen, slight blurriness, etc. No good!

As to widescreen vs regular....depends on what you are using it for. More and more games ARE starting to support widescreen...but most do not. And many that do, don't do it properly (do not adjust the field of view). It's certainlly VERY nice when watching DVDs, though, and working on documents/images and surfing the web.

So, if you PRIMARILY use the PC for 'work' and watching movies, with a little gaming on the side...widescreen makes sense. If the 'little gaming on the side' you do happens to be only titles that DO support widescreen, and do so properly....well, then, the choice is CLEAR.

Otherwise, for hardcore gamers, I'd stick with regular 4:3 1600x1200 displays. They are actually a touch nicer for DVDs, too, than 5:4 1280x1024 displays, as 5:4 is obviously pretty 'square', and the letterboxing on movies will be VERY LARGE on these monitors. 4:3 is, at least, a little more rectangular.

(OTOH, it's QUITE important to run LCDs at native res, and in order to always play the 'latest and greatest' game at 1600x1200 with 4xAA, you will be pretty constantly upgrading each generation of video card to the highest-end one available. If that doesn't sit well with your budget, 1280x1024 displays tend to be much easier. Then, you only have to upgrade to the MIDRANGE card each generation! :p )

This is one of the BEST posts I've ever read regarding LCD gaming/useage. Well said!

QFT!!

I am playing all the games at 1600x1200 with my Samsung SyncMaster 204B, 5ms monitor with dvi.

I have a CRT that is not 4:3. It is a Sony FW900. Sure it weighs 100lbs. It's from kicking so much lcd ass. :p

1920*1200@98Hz, and whatever lower res your heart desires at more Hz. You should be using native though.

Back