LCD for SERIOUS gamer. (all my computer exists for).

mattjbak

Gawd
Here is the deal. Right now I use a 22" NEC fe2111sb CRT that I love, but the problem is that it weighs far too much and uses my entire desk. I would be using the display for Counterstrike Source, which I play competitively. I need something that doesn't ghost at all, and will keep up AS well as possible with the CRT. I'm moving into a really small room next year, so the CRT is basically a no-go. Heres the thing, and I don't even know if it's possible. I need to play CSS @ 1024x768 resolution. It's a matter of the feel, as I'm complete used to it back from the early days of CS.

please no cs1.6 vs css comments.

Thanks for your suggestions.

best non-widescreen gaming lcd: ViewSonic VX922
best widescreen lcd:ViewSonic VX2025WM, or NEC Display Solutions 20WMGX2(expensive)

my friend plays source on his LCD at 800x600 just scales it down or whatever and he does great.

So most of these LCDs can scale well?

what about this: BenQ FP93GX

Better than the viewsonic?

Viewsonic will not scale with some video cards.....what I mean is you cant get the black bars with lower than native resolutions...........there are threads about it in this section:)

dt3k said:
best non-widescreen gaming lcd: ViewSonic VX922
best widescreen lcd:ViewSonic VX2025WM, or NEC Display Solutions 20WMGX2(expensive)

my friend plays source on his LCD at 800x600 just scales it down or whatever and he does great.
Agreed.

Virtually every monitor will scale resolutions in various ways and even if they don't all ATI/Nvidia cards can handle the scaling. The results from having either the monitor or video card scale the image is usually identical anyways.

Theres no LCD that doesn't ghost at all but some definitely do it to a lot smaller degree.

*insert random counterstrike comment here* :D

squeezee said:
*insert random counterstrike comment here* :D
I play mostly CSS (when have some free time), and the VX922 gives me no grief whatsoever.
If it's ghosting or lagging, I can't tell.
I did tell the difference on the VP930 and on many Samsung LCD's I checked out prior to buying this one.

id say the 204B is the gaming king. 1600X1200, 5ms response time, etc.

widescreen > non-widescreen

This is a creed that all serious gamers should abide by. Widescreen nets you a 33% larger FOV, and in games, you need to see everything you can.

I recommend the VX2025WM hands down. It's probably THE all-around best 20" widescreen monitor on the market.

When I hooked my widescreen LCD up and gamed on source, the widescreen support was pretty nice. id go with widescreen.

Bona Fide said:

This is a creed that all serious gamers should abide by. Widescreen nets you a 33% larger FOV, and in games, you need to see everything you can.

Not true. Most multiplayer games do not change the FOV on a widescreen monitor because it gives widescreen players an advantage. Instead they keep the default FOV and chop off the tops of the 4:3 picture to make it down to 16:9 or 16:10.

I recommend the VX2025WM hands down. It's probably THE all-around best 20" widescreen monitor on the market.

While a little more enthusiastic than he probably should be, I agree with this post. In FPSs, having that extra viewable space horizontally means the difference between seeing your opponent around the corner, and having to constantly look around.

I'm not sure what your reason for being stuck in 1024x768 is, and I certainly don't doubt your abilities in the game, but the person who can't adapt becomes obsolete. I don't mean to criticize you, as I'm sure that you're a valued member of your team, but just remember that ignoring useful tools (such as higher-resolution, widescreen displays) means there is an extra gap that your skill must make up between you and the gamer with them. Gaming competition isn't just about skill. Having the right tools for the job can get you that extra leg up in a close match.

With that said, buying a widescreen LCD only to have it be stretched as you use it in a 4:3 aspect ratio is silly. If you really need to stay in 4:3, the VX922 seems like just what the doctor ordered. ;)

Yeah it does depend on the game if you're seeing more horizontally or less vertically. In some cases having less vertical view is actually benificial (same object takes up more pixels, sniping bonus here).

I suck out loud in CSS but i do wonder if any competent CS players find having a monitor like this 30" dell gives them any noticable advantage considering it has 5x the resolution of 1024x768. I'm going to a big lan in less than two weeks so i guess i'll find out. :)

You don't happen to have any friends/clanmates locally that have LCDs you could try out do you? If you can see/use one in person it would probally help make your decision easier.

Unfortunately, I don't have someone close as I don't play with a lan team currently. Widescreen is basically out for me because 4:3 aspect ratio is required for various lans/leagues because of the advantage that it does provide in games such as CSS. The reason I choose to stick with 1024 is because of the whole feel of it. If you change around your resolution in CS, you will notice many differences. Some include HUD size and xhair thickness (not size).

Your input has been incredibly helpful, and I thank everyone who has posted here!

mattjbak said:
Unfortunately, I don't have someone close as I don't play with a lan team currently. Widescreen is basically out for me because 4:3 aspect ratio is required for various lans/leagues because of the advantage that it does provide in games such as CSS. The reason I choose to stick with 1024 is because of the whole feel of it. If you change around your resolution in CS, you will notice many differences. Some include HUD size and xhair thickness (not size).

Your input has been incredibly helpful, and I thank everyone who has posted here!

Very true.

I sucked a big one when I went from my 17" to my 2405. To say that I was pwned by all would be an understatement.

About the VX2025WM,

I had bought two of those LCD's at the same time for a dual screen setup and thought they would be great for gaming as well.
After having two of them side by side for a day or two and switching back and forth(for comparison) with my VX924.
"I sent them both back ASAP". Those things had some mean screen door affect going on. And they just seemed blurry
and text was hard to read. I even reinstalled an OS with newer video card drivers as well as trying to use the viewsonic lcd driver,
but what it came down to is those LCD's suck.

mywsviewsonic.png

The twenty day difference in the return date is that one got lost in the mail
. :(

I'm probably just going to order a VX922 to finish my dual screen setup.
I just hope that this one looks as good as my VX924.
But this was just my experience on the subject, I want wide screens just like the next person,
but I really thought those VX2025wm's sucked too much to keep.

Thanks for your time,
J32P2006

My VM2025Xm is perfect - i can read text fine, running anything at its native res.

Your bad experience almost sounds like you werent running it at it's native res to say text was blurry and not clear, or using a VGA connection and not DVI.

mine is flawless. playing Cs:s for hours is incredible.

MrGuvernment said:
My VM2025Xm is perfect - i can read text fine, running anything at its native res.

Your bad experience almost sounds like you werent running it at it's native res to say text was blurry and not clear, or using a VGA connection and not DVI.

mine is flawless. playing Cs:s for hours is incredible.

Ummmm, That wasn't the problem... Why would I buy that WS LCD and use it at anything other then 1680 x 1050 at 60hz. And why wouldn't I use dvi when they give you the cord....

I stated what the problem was, those LCD's aren't that good. But your going to argue since you kept yours and think it's the shit.

And about the text issue, maybe I should have left the word HARD out.
What I meant was reading text on that screen looks like crap
compared to reading text on my VX924. But yes, I could easily
read text on the VX2025wm, it just looked worse then on this VX924
And Let's not forget the screen door look they both had.
If that's the correct name for it anyway.

And I dought that any LCD is flawless

Difference b/t vx924 and vx922? It seems that the vx922 has better specs

I meant I hope it matches my VX924 in color,contrast, and screen brightness. I just don't want similar looking LCD's on the outside, and have the screens them-selves look different.

Eva_Unit_0 said:
Not true. Most multiplayer games do not change the FOV on a widescreen monitor because it gives widescreen players an advantage. Instead they keep the default FOV and chop off the tops of the 4:3 picture to make it down to 16:9 or 16:10.

Actually, many games do support widescreen.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Master_Games_List_-_A

While only some actually support it through the game's settings, many can be slightly tweaked to support widescreen.

I'm really liking that 90GX2, any input on that from anyone else? Very tempting, might order that today.

mattjbak said:
I'm really liking that 90GX2, any input on that from anyone else? Very tempting, might order that today.
Just remember that all 19" lcds are 5:4 so 4:3 resolutions will look vertically stretched on it. If you want to maintain a 4:3 aspect ratio you will have to buy a 20" lcd like the samsung 204b, dell 2007fp, etc.

Bona Fide said:

i cant help but shake my head and chuckle

Back