• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

LCD fog effects

mrcodez

n00b
Joined
Dec 31, 2004
Messages
3
I was reading some of the user reviews of the VX922 on newegg and came across a few complaints about the way fog looks on LCDs, paticularly the viewsonic VX922

I was about to buy the monitor when I read this and it made me a bit hesitant. Is there any truth to this description of fog on LCDs? Anyone have any pics of this behavior with other LCDs?

The problem I have isn’t ghosting, but Fog effects in games like F.E.A.R. and Oblivion, or Call of Duty. Fog in these games has a very unnatural effect. The best explanation I can give is that when you walk into a cloud of fog it isn’t white, but has all of these underlying concentric rings in it. This holds true for weather effects and ‘gun smoke’ as well.
 
Well I have this monitor, and I don't notice that in games. But I haven't really looked for it. All I can suggest is that it might have something to do with the panel only being a 16.2 million color monitor. Maybe it dithers a little bit trying to adjust to those colors. I'll play some COD2 and see if I can find that effect. I think that reviewer know's what he's talking about though. More or less I think you would have to make the call. Or if you do decide to try it, you can always send it back if your not 100% satisfied. Hope this helps.
 
I don't see that on my monitor when I play FEAR, don't have Oblivion yet. I think the increase in brightness may make a difference, if it's set too bright, then I could see how this might happen but you just have to set up a profile for it and select it before you start your game, or in my case all I have to do is push a button under the monitor and it switches between custom, text, internet, games, movies & sports, takes care of things for me anyway.
 
mrcodez said:
I was reading some of the user reviews of the VX922 on newegg and came across a few complaints about the way fog looks on LCDs, paticularly the viewsonic VX922

I was about to buy the monitor when I read this and it made me a bit hesitant. Is there any truth to this description of fog on LCDs? Anyone have any pics of this behavior with other LCDs?

This is because the VX922 is a 6bit panel rather than 8bit which makes banding of colors (dithering) more noticeable on it..Most LCDs that are 8ms or faster are 6bit.. an unfortunate trade off for speed.
 
mathesar said:
This is because the VX922 is a 6bit panel rather than 8bit which makes banding of colors (dithering) more noticeable on it..Most LCDs that are 8ms or faster are 6bit.. an unfortunate trade off for speed.

QFT
 
You won't notice it mostly but in movies and games they are quite apparent if you look for it. Don't worry about games, it will not detract from the gameplay. I think if you want the absolute fastest response time without any ghosting get this monitor, but if you want a nice balance between photo editing/movies/games/photoshop then get the Dell 2007WFP or the 20" WS Viewsonic(the one with the big thread on this site).
 
It sounds to me like the banding we used to see before using 32bit color. 16bit color makes artifacts in the form of bands of color that can be obviously distinguished between in hi-res pictures. But I doubt it. Its being a 6bit panel is more likely the problem. I wouldn't risk buying it myself. It would drive me nuts.
 
biohazard_nz said:

Er..nope , Dithering looks differant than what those pages describe, This page gives examples of what dithering looks like , compare the top pic (Diffusion dithering) to the bottom example (no dithering): http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/glossary/l/bldithering.htm?terms=Color Depth
 
The reason why the FOG seems unnatural is because of the Screendoor Effect on the TN VX922 Monitor. The pixels on the monitor appear to be a little big, and they have some black space inbetween them as well. So when the monitor displays FOG which is Smooth and Natural the Monitor shows a kind of Diffused view.

I'm not sure if all TN panels have this Screendoor effect but I know for sure that the VP930B didn't and Dell 1905fp didn't and they are MVA panels.
 
Back
Top