• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

LCD Dilemma - 12ms vs 25ms???

MarkFahey

n00b
Joined
Jan 10, 2005
Messages
15
I am starting to research the many LCD monitors out there to replace my aging iilama 21" desktop CRT. Sheeze... there are so many choices. I am looking for at least a 19" but preferably a 21" or 23". Most of the 19"er's will only do 1280x1024. I am used to my big real estate desktop at 1600x1200. I have looked at the new Sony HS-Series 19" Flat Panel LCD with the new XBRITE technology and SCREAMING 12ms response time at the local Best Buy here in Massachusetts and WOW did that puppy ever look sweet. I could swear I was looking at a CRT instead of an LCD with it standing next to the other LCD's on the shelf.

I am also looking at the Samsung SyncMasterTM 213T (21.3 inch monitor). Lots of real estate with 1600x1200 but only a 25ms response time.

Can anyone give any solid recommendations on other models and brands like Dell, Viewsonic, NEC, etc?

I guess my main question is the response time difference between say 12 - 16ms to 25ms such a great difference? I am a gamer with the likes of Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six as well as a big flight simulator fanatic. Is the 25ms ceiling going to really affect my gaming as opposed to a 12 or 16ms display?

Also what about these new 'Cinema Displays', I was unable to find any on display in the local BestBuy and Circuit City?


Many Thanks for the feedback in advance!


Mark
 
25ms is not good enough for gaming imo

the monitor is only capable of displaying at max 40fps

16 is good enough for most people, but i am satisfied with 12ms.
 
Something in the 12-16ms is what you should be looking for, IMO
 
25ms is not good for gaming, also you can search this. it's been talked about many times...
 
It all depends on the panel type. 25ms TN panels are not much slower than 16ms or even 12ms ones while 25ms MVA/PVA is noticeably slower due to it's high response times on grey-to-grey transitions.
 
Roger said:
It all depends on the panel type. 25ms TN panels are not much slower than 16ms or even 12ms ones while 25ms MVA/PVA is noticeably slower due to it's high response times on grey-to-grey transitions.



just say no.... :rolleyes:
 
Zardoz said:
just say no.... :rolleyes:
No what? I never said 25ms is not good enough for games. What I'm trying to say is that 25ms TN panels are almost as fast as 16ms ones so if you don't mind gaming on a 16ms panel, you wouldn't see a huge difference in ghosting between that and 25ms TN. On the other hand, 25ms PVA is alot slower and is not a good choice for gaming.
 
Friend of mine has a 19" 25ms Samsung. It looks very "smeary" when there is fast movement - almost as if there was a coating of oil on the screen or you had grabbed the image and shaken it. You get used to it, but it's not ideal. I didn't think it was terrible for World of Warcraft but (to me) it made Far Cry very unpleasant to watch/play.

25ms won't make you infertile or steal your wallet, but you're probably better off going with a 16ms or less if you can.
 
And yet, anandtech did their article

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2289&p=16

and they talk about a Viewsonic screen having no ghosting, yet it is a 25ms screen. So, go see, tis the only way. I am in the same boat, trying to find one, but the only definitive answer is to go see for yourself. Utilize a local store, and if necessary, their return policy. :rolleyes:
 
MarkFahey, don't put all your faith in the numbers.

Some people will say "don't get 25ms, all 25ms are too slow so stick with 16ms."

A statement like that is complete BS. Why? Because response time and their ratings vary from panel to panel. I have owed 4 LCDs and I've been from 25ms to 16ms and now to a 12ms 2005FPW. Let me tell you that my 25ms LCD was EVERY BIT AS FAST as my 16ms LCD. In fact ghosting may have been just a tad more on the 16ms. Now the jump from my 16ms to my 2005fpw, THAT was noticeable. The ghosting is certainly less on my 2005fpw than it was on my 16ms panel. Also, according to several head-to-head reviews, the ghosting on the 2001fp (a 16ms panel) SMOKES the ghosting on most other 16ms LCDs, even though the are all rated "16ms" there is a clear difference among the panels.

The only way truly find out how fast the response time is, is to try out the specific panel is question.
 
yeah like the dude above me said, you cant just go by ratings... look up a review, or if you somehow can get a way to test out the panel for yourself go for it...cant really rank monitors 100% by their rated features.
 
Back
Top