• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

LCD Decision is stressing me (help out!)

RawsonDR

Gawd
Joined
Aug 18, 2004
Messages
583
Hi all. I've recently joined because I've decided to buy myself a good LCD before school starts up again (or, since it starts in a week, maybe in the first month). I have not even decided whether I want 17, 19, or 20 inch. I know I don't want to buy anything cheap and I want DVI input. Here is my reasoning:

17 - most popular and cheapest.1280x1024 is a good resolution.
Price: I figure about 450 dollars considering DVI is a must have as well as low response time.

19 - only marginally more expensive than a 17. Two inches is a lot of extra space, however since 19's are also 1280x1024 I will have the same amount of pixels, just a stretched image. This is only a marginal benefit.
Price: I figure about 600 dollars.

20 - (ughhh I want a 20 inch so bad) 19 to 20 inch step has much greater benefits to me than 17 to 19 does, because 1600x1200 utilizes the extra space better than a 19 inch because of increased landscape. This is very appealing to me.
Price: I figure approximately 800 dollars for a Dell 2001fp, I don't think I can justify getting a different 20 inch because they are all more expensive it seems

I'm open to all opinions/expertise! This decision is killing me.

Also, I wanted to know if buying a Dell 2001FP off of Ebay is a viable option. It seems I can get the monitor around 100 dollars cheaper if I do this? Do i still get a warranty? What are the drawbacks?

Thanks!
 
Keep checking Dell, or do a google search on Dell+cupons. Also check out this forums Hot Deals thread for cupon posts.

Of late the Dell 2100FP has been available for $750 or less if you search enough.

Luck

BillR
 
Yes, that's a good thread. I read it a few days ago I think - and I'm still torn as to which I want. I really enjoy having a large landscape (low pixel pitch) but lately I've started to get annoyed at reading small text while surfing the web. I currently own a junky 17 inch monitor.

That is a good monitor if I decide to go with 19 inch, the only question I have : will I notice ghosting at 25ms on that panel? I do game, and I'd say that's equally important to me as web surfing/reading text is.
 
I've been watching the dell deals (on my favorite bargain site) for awhile now but haven't seen the 2001fp for under 750 in weeks.

All I've seen is their standard 10% off, plus any flavor of their coupon (30, 35, 40 dollars off).

This makes it over 750 and then they will charge me 60 dollars in tax, free shipping though. Anyone know how to get it cheaper?

edit: I noticed that if order it to be shipped to Delaware there's no tax. My sister lives there, but then I'd have to pay for her to ship it to me and wait longer for it. I don't know if I can deal with that. School starts on Wdnesday the 25th and I move back into my dorm on Sunday I think.
 
RawsonDR said:
I've been watching the dell deals (on my favorite bargain site) for awhile now but haven't seen the 2001fp for under 750 in weeks.

All I've seen is their standard 10% off, plus any flavor of their coupon (30, 35, 40 dollars off).

This makes it over 750 and then they will charge me 60 dollars in tax, free shipping though. Anyone know how to get it cheaper?

edit: I noticed that if order it to be shipped to Delaware there's no tax. My sister lives there, but then I'd have to pay for her to ship it to me and wait longer for it. I don't know if I can deal with that. School starts on Wdnesday the 25th and I move back into my dorm on Sunday I think.

Heh, you’re thinking backwards here. Have your sister buy it but have it shipped to your home or school address. Pay your sister back. No tax, you get your monitor at the better price. ;)

BillR
 
BillR said:
Heh, you’re thinking backwards here. Have your sister buy it but have it shipped to your home or school address. Pay your sister back. No tax, you get your monitor at the better price. ;)

Oh yeah. Good point. See? That's why I need help deciding! Hah.

Really I just need someone to tell me WHAT monitor to buy and I should just do it. This decision is killing me. Maybe I'll throw a 6 sided die or something.

edit: "Daddy needs a new LCD!!!" (toss the die) (the crowd goes wild)
 
RawsonDR said:
Oh yeah. Good point. See? That's why I need help deciding! Hah.

Really I just need someone to tell me WHAT monitor to buy and I should just do it. This decision is killing me. Maybe I'll throw a 6 sided die or something.

edit: "Daddy needs a new LCD!!!" (toss the die) (the crowd goes wild)

Welp, I had the 2001FP from Dell, and I hvae to admit I liked it a lot. Like a few others after a week I had some problems. Upper right quadrent of the screen got the screen door effect, plus some pretty bad back light issues. They were very good about either exchange or return, no cost to me at all. I did return it in favor of the 213T. It did cost me a bit more, but ghosting wise I see little or no difference. I do like the bigger screen area though for sure. Try a Dell, if you don't like it send it back. :D Plus, it's damn hard to beat for the outlay.

BillR
 
Hey BillR, I have a question...

Are you sure what you said will work?

When I go to the Dell website, login, and estimate shipping on a 2001FP to Delaware, they say no tax. This means that despite where I'm buying from, shipping it to Delaware incurs no tax. Doesn't this mean that when my sister goes to the Dell website and ships a monitor to Ohio, the tax will be added in?

Has anyone successfully done this?

edit: Another question : If I'm going to buy the Dell LCD should I just do it on the website, or can I get an extra deal or two if I call Dell up and spend a few minutes talking with a sales person? Like arguing bills with your cell phone company, will they find a corner or two to cut? (example: offer deals that maybe have expired but they'll give me since I "might buy somewhere else instead of Dell")
 
Nope, shouldn't be a problem. She's doing the purchase in Del. That's what counts. She is buying you a "present" or whatever. Don't see an issue there. That's why they provide for a 'Bill too addy" and a "Ship to addy".

Luck

BillR
 
I was told today that tax is gauged by where you are shipping the item to, not billing. Maybe somebody out there has done said loophole?

Anyway, I finally convinced my cheap self to buy the Dell 2001FP! Dell Small Business opened their 20% off Dell 2001FP today it seems. No coupon codes although I know if I waited a week or two I'd get another 40 dollars off, but I don't want to wait. So 900 - 20% + 53 in tax makes it about 775. I can't wait to get it in the mail!

Thanks for all the help.
 
Rawson... a little trick to try... (since I myself just upgraded from a old 17" crt with a viewable area of 15.3"). Get a ruler and shrink the diagonal of your viewable screen to 14.5" with the ajustment nobs (you'll just have a bigger black border surrounding the picture)... then if your graphics card can support 1152x864 resolution switch to that mode.... now voila!... you are looking at the same pixel pitch as the 2001fp... the picture will be a small portion of what the big 20.1" screen will look like. Notice the small text:) For others with larger CRT's you might try making a viewable diagonal of 17.2" and use a resolution of 1280x1024... this too results in a pixel width of nearly 0.01005" which is the pixel pitch of the 2001fp.

To compare this with the 19", 1280x1024 LCD monitors... with your old 17" CRT monitor set to a viewable diagonal of 14.5" use a resolution of 1024x768.
 
Well Dell has a $45 off $500 which opened up today, however this is for Dell Home and I ordered my monitor at Dell Small Business to get the 20% off - so I don't know if they would give it to me, maybe if I called and argued (which I or my dad [whose business ordered it] might try).

That is a very creative trick, Jack. I'll give it a shot when I get home from work today. I will need this to hold my excitement over getting the 2001FP, because the expected ship date of my monitor is August 25th! I actually expected it would be shipped the day after I ordered it (today), but I guess they don't carry them in large stock like I had imagined.

Thanks for the tip.
 
My guess is you will have it by the 25th. They don't ship from a central warehouse. When I got mine I kept trying to track it for a few days and suddenly it was already on the truck for delivery..all be for the expected ship date.

Luck

BillR
 
That's excellent news! You've given me new hope.

Now I just have to find out how to make sure it gets from my dad's business to my dorm room without him opening it to try it out. I got my 'nerd' quality from him. I all ready told him he was going to be jealous when I get my new monitor. He has LCDs at work (only as big as 19 inch) but is still with his old CRT at home.
 
Back
Top