lcd backlight turn off program

Rix2357

[H]ard|Gawd
Since the search function is broken.

Does anyone have a link to a program that I can run that will turn off the lcd backlight?

I remember a forum member here wrote one up pretty quickly, and I am looking for something that can do that. I'm also looking into making it ignore any keystrokes for say a second before it blanks the screen.

Thanks in advance!

That's exactly what I needed!

It's mostly useful for laptop users when I want to turn off the lcd backlight when I go to sleep yet I don't want to put the laptop in suspend mode by closing the lid.

Also people with Dell monitors that have a card reader might also like it too. Whenever you turn off those types of monitors, all the usb and card reader devices also get disconnected. I'd rather they have a separate button that turns those devices on or off rather than it be linked to the power button.

^^
a laptop doesn't have to go into suspend mode.

go to start >control panel > power options > the advanced tab

in the power button options is says "then i close the lid of my portable computer" change that to "nothing". then you can close your notebook and leave it running.

it's what i do ;)

Yes, but your lcd backlight is still on.

I'd rather it off to preserve the life of the display and also for the slight reduction in power draw. Most laptops are already dim enough and using it more than necessary is just asking for it to be worse as you use it.

I'd rather it off to preserve the life of the display and also for the slight reduction in power draw. Most laptops are already dim enough and using it more than necessary is just asking for it to be worse as you use it.

Are you sure it doesn't just put it on standby?

yeah i also have it set to turn off the screen in 3 minutes

It just tells the monitor to go into its built-in power saving mode. It doesn't do anything funky.

You're right, I never said it would just turn off the backlight. It's intended purpose is to control a display's power saving functions, nothing more. I wrote it to put my monitor into standby on demand.

You're right, I never said it would just turn off the backlight. It's intended purpose is to control a display's power saving functions, nothing more. I wrote it to put my monitor into standby on demand.
Im ussually turn off monitor manually, so i dont need this program, but it is very interesting.:D

windows does this also with no need for a 3rd party program methinks?:confused:

You can set Windows to put the monitor into standby after x minutes of inactivity, yes. This program is purely for users who wish to control it manually (like me xD).

and me....

When I go to sleep I don't like to close the lid of my computer because I have my computer set to go into standby mode if I close the lid of my computer and hibernate if I push the power button when it is on. I just like that arrangement because of how I use the computer. I don't want to close the lid of the computer and come back to a partially or fully drained battery because I forgot to put it into standby.

This program does exactly what I need, a key that I can set so that I can turn just the lcd off and nothing else.

Windows has the option to turn off the display after X minutes, the hard drives and Y minutes, and suspend the system after Z minutes. They are almost completely exclusive of each other. Just set Windows to turn off the monitor after how ever many minutes you want it to and i'tll do it automatically, so there's no need to close the lid.

Back