LCD backlight flickering...

chuckcts

n00b
I've bought Benq FP202WA, and after few hours of setting it up and testing I've realized that backlight is flickering at 40-70Hz, depending on brightness setting. With brightness set over 80-90 flickering is gone, but screen is too bright.
I've took to registered service center and after waiting for 2 weeks they've said that everything is fine. After another look at the picture it was obvious to me that screen is still flickering. And now, after sending it back to service and waiting for 2 more weeks they again said it's fine!!!
Any know how can a lcd backlight be tested for this kind of flickering? And how to explain the problem to the people in service center - I've told them already that backlight is flickering when brightness is lover than 80-90 and that it's flickering at 40-70Hz but they looked at me like I don't know what I'm talking about....
The only thing I could come up with is using digital camera and setting exposure time to 1/50 seconds (50Hz) when u can clearly see that backlight is pulsating / flickering...

Is there no way you can hook it up to a computer in front of these people and show them the problem yourself?

gonna try and show them on monday...
was just wondering if there is any other way of testing this kind of thing....

Using a video camera might work as the flicker might not be at the same rate as the pictures are taken. It should be more noticeable on film.
The best way would be to use a hight speed camera for slow motion (some newer HD cams got such a feature).
Some webcams also manage 60fps which should be sufficient to expose the flicker.

Is it flickering all the time like even after half-an-hour after you turn the power on? I noticed my 2407 was flickering a month back, but also noticed that it only occurred during the first 10 minutes or so when the CFLs are warming up. After some googling, it's pretty normal as long as it goes away after a while.

yeah, it's flickering even after couple of hours...
gonna try to find some digital camera, since the one I had was stolen from me few days ago :(

couldn't find camera today and couldn't argue with stupid service guy to find a stupid web camera or anything... I've took monitor from service and came home, and it's still flickering (looked it with my webcam and it's so obvious) :(
gonna try and return in to the shop and get my money back :(

i've created small animated gif with my webcam...

monitor1at5.gif

Back