Layer 3 switch needed

luckylinux

Limp Gawd
I am interested in buying an Layer 3 (or even 4) switch to route my VLANs enabled on the other Layer 2 switches I own. I currently own some HP Procurves (1810-24G and 2810-48G / 2510-48G) but need layer 3 switches to route / bridge the VLANs. Apparently the performance of say a Pfsense router as a VLAN bridge wouldnt be very good if the data rate is too high (above say 1gbps) :(.

I was able to find some decent deals on the bay for the HP PROCURVE 2910al-24G J9145A and the HP PROCURVE 3500yl-24G J8692A POE. The latter is about 150$ more and I'm not sure I will need POE in the future (not at the moment anyway). Furthermore both have 4 x 10gbps ports which could be useful if I'll upgrade some NICs to 10GE.

I wonder if someone could explain me the differences in features between the two and/or reccomend me another one. I'm not biased to HP Procurve (Cisco would also be okay IMHO) but I like the fact that the most of the procurves have lifetime warranty from HP ;)

Preferably something that can be bough on the bay second hand for around 500$ max :cool:

Thank you for your help :D

Look at the Cisco SG300 series of switches. Just be aware that you need to enable L3 as they are set to L2 by default.

Look at the Cisco SG300 series of switches. Just be aware that you need to enable L3 as they are set to L2 by default.

Are they better than the HP Procurve I listed in my previous post?
Because they look (a bit) more expensive on the bay, at least here in Europe :(

Unfortunately there isn't much availability of second hand switches for good prices here in Europe (or at least many less offers and higher prices), both Cisco's and HP's.

Is it yours?

I'm not sure how Zyxel enterprise-grade switches compare to HP's or Cisco's though. Not sure which features I may be missing. I see this one doesn't feature PoE (not a priority ATM but I would like to have it for future-proof). Seems cheap for what it offers (48 ports instead of 24 for HP/Cisco for that second hand price range). Do some ports support 10GbE (the mini-GBIC ones) or not?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nortel 5510.

Never heard of that brand. Is it any good?
It seems very cheap on ebay going for 200-250 EUR.

Is there another model with PoE or PoE+ capability?

EDIT: from what I read it seems to be quite power hungry (135W). Not sure if there's something like that but less power hungry :(

@ luckylinux
No it's not, but I'm a happy user of the GS1910-series :)
That said, many ISPs uses Zyxel gear at their end-points so they should be pretty good.
Seems pretty good for what it offers, you have all stuff here:
http://tiedosto.wallzone.net/ftp.zyxel.fi/GS-2750/

That said, these are brand new and have a very good price...
http://www.zyxel.com/products_services/gs2210_series.shtml?t=p
ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/GS2210-24/ (Data sheet etc)
http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/4475750_-gs2210-24-zyxel.html

I'm not sure if they offer everything you want on the top of my head

//Danne

Last edited:
@ luckylinux
No it's not, but I'm a happy user of the GS1910-series :)
That said, many ISPs uses Zyxel gear at their end-points so they should be pretty good.
Seems pretty good for what it offers, you have all stuff here:
http://tiedosto.wallzone.net/ftp.zyxel.fi/GS-2750/

That said, these are brand new and have a very good price...
http://www.zyxel.com/products_services/gs2210_series.shtml?t=p
ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/GS2210-24/ (Data sheet etc)
http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/4475750_-gs2210-24-zyxel.html

I'm not sure if they offer everything you want on the top of my head

//Danne
The XGS1910-24 looks promising. I mean a L3 switch for the price of L2 like the procurve 2810-48G looks strange. Indeed it has fewer port count but still ...

The GS2210-24 looks to be only L2 switch although it states to provide L2/L3/L4 filtering.

How do you find yourself with the GS1910 series? Any more insights?

Because of the over abundance of units, a cheap Cisco 2600 series router or something similar might be as good as anything else. You just need a Layer 3 router? A "router-on-a-stick" model would accomplish this for you. Program all the VLANs and the routing on the ROAS, then plug it into a trunk port of a switch.

r
Because of the over abundance of units, a cheap Cisco 2600 series router or something similar might be as good as anything else. You just need a Layer 3 router? A "router-on-a-stick" model would accomplish this for you. Program all the VLANs and the routing on the ROAS, then plug it into a trunk port of a switch.

Thank you for your answer. However I don't quite get what you mean by ROAS ...
This router cost only like 30€ (used) on the bay whereas the others (with much bigger port count) are like ~300€. And this router only is 100Mbps not 1Gbps :(

Could've been otherwise a good (potential) solution.

I could also buy another L2 + L3 switch with high (24 or 48) port count. That isn't required but could always come at hand. In that case PoE (and/or PoE+) would be a requirement for future-proofing though ;)

I find the GS1910-series really nice (GS1920 is out but it seems to be a bit worse?), cheap (about 100£ over at Amazon UK), silent (no fans) and a pretty good WebUI. Coming from the HP 1810 and 1910-series I'd say its much snappier and the layout is overall better. Downside is that some namings are confusing in the beginning but overall I'd probably go for a GS1910 over a HP 1910. Only issue I've found so far is that NTP servers need to be on VLAN 1 (probably a configuration issue on my behalf).
//Danne

I find the GS1910-series really nice (GS1920 is out but it seems to be a bit worse?), cheap (about 100£ over at Amazon UK), silent (no fans) and a pretty good WebUI. Coming from the HP 1810 and 1910-series I'd say its much snappier and the layout is overall better. Downside is that some namings are confusing in the beginning but overall I'd probably go for a GS1910 over a HP 1910. Only issue I've found so far is that NTP servers need to be on VLAN 1 (probably a configuration issue on my behalf).
//Danne

Too bad I already own like 4 x HP 1810 then :( It's not like I'm gonna throw them away :D

But I still don't understand why you're reccomending GS1910 when I ask for a L3 switvch whereas on the product page (Zyxel's website) it is marketed as L2 (with some L3 filtering).
Could you please elaborate on that? Can you actually do L3 routing from one VLAN to the other?

A 2600 doing the routing would be suuuuper slow. He wants a switch that will do it at wirespeed.

I just mentioned the 1910 as the GS2200 seems to share the same WebUI and CLI. Unfortunately they wont fulfill your requirements.
//Danne

Hint: 2910AL and 3500yl need additional modules, before you can actually put in your SFP+ optice/cable or RJ45 cable for 10GbE. Those are rather expensive.

Back