Layer 2 VLAN Traffic

mikey71497

Limp Gawd
If you have two VLANs on a switch, 1 for customer traffic and the other for management and the customer traffic has 2 gig optical ports associated to the customer Vlan, does traffic for the customer VLAN get load balanced between the two ports? In other words, I have a 1 gig pipe, and when I had 2 ports associtated with a VLAN, i was only get half throughput of the pipe. When I disabled one of the ports, I was then able to get full throughput of the 1 gig pipe. Does this make sense? It seems strange that multiple ports in the same VLAN would knock the throughput down by half.

Which switch have you got?

Generally, if you use 2 ports to another switch, switches are smart enough and automatically disable one (to prevent loops) UNLESS you specifically configure both switches to use both links (and then they do load balancing).

Which switch have you got?

Generally, if you use 2 ports to another switch, switches are smart enough and automatically disable one (to prevent loops) UNLESS you specifically configure both switches to use both links (and then they do load balancing).

Spanning tree is in effect here and you want to enable ether channel right?

Spanning tree will disable a port you want a LAG group of etherchannel depending on switch brand

This is a metro Ethernet product. We use ciena 311v switches. How would STP cut down the throughput?

One gig port on the switch is used for the customer handoff port. Becuase the other end of the circuit was not established yet, to test the circuit one of the techs had another gig port turned up so he can test to it from his meter. Port 26 was added to the same VLAN as port 25 (the cust handoff port.) When the other end of the circuit was up, we were dropping frames at max throughput and only using 500mb of the 1gig pipe. When port 26 was removed from the config, we were able to use all 1gig of the bandwidth. Would STP shut port 26 down causing half of the throughput to only be used? Frames entering the switch were tagged so they would be broadcasted to both ports. This switch does not connect to another switch. I would be connected to a Layer 3 device, in this case device is unknown. We hand it off to the customer.

No, when STP shuts down ports, it's like not having them, so throughput through others stays the same. Anyway, it does that when there's a loop which is not the case here.

Back