Latest Windows 10 Preview Includes Updated Start Menu, Windows Ink

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The latest insider preview is a “major” one for PC. Aside from Start Menu improvements and Ink, tablet mode and search functionality have also been updated.

We have merged the most used apps list and the All apps list into a single view and elevated it to the top level of the UI to reduce clicking and scrolling. You can now access all your apps with one click on the Start menu. We have also moved important functionality such as Power, Settings, and File Explorer so that they are always visible in the left rail in the Start menu, and updated the Recently added section so that it will now show 3 entries instead of just 1, and can be expanded to see the entire list of new apps.

Nice, I like it. :) Oh, and in before the needs to be like Windows 7 crowd. :D

I'm curious to see if they beefed up Cortana. I told it to set a timer - it came back and said it can't do it. What? Siri, Alexa, Google Now - very simple feature that works with these.
I don't think I'll be using Cortana anyway. Kind of shocked it was missing.
Not sure I'm looking forward to the rest of the changes. Major changes can end up pissing people off :)

I'm curious to see if they beefed up Cortana. I told it to set a timer - it came back and said it can't do it. What? Siri, Alexa, Google Now - very simple feature that works with these.

For some reason it doesn't work when you say "timer". But "Hey Cortana, set an alarm in 15 minutes" works fine even in the current release build of 10.

For some reason it doesn't work when you say "timer". But "Hey Cortana, set an alarm in 15 minutes" works fine even in the current release build of 10.
Ah, didn't know that. my guess is they will add support for keywords like timer over time. MSFT has been moving forward at a good clip with Windows 10. I have no regrets of upgrading my systems at home.

Ah, didn't know that. my guess is they will add support for keywords like timer over time. MSFT has been moving forward at a good clip with Windows 10. I have no regrets of upgrading my systems at home.

Yeah, it's a really odd bug/inconsistency. But it's something I use a lot now, pretty convenient.

Microsoft needs to let us change Cortana's voice. I want Jarvis

Then you want windows 10 phone. :) I can change mine to quite a few different ones there.

As for desktop, still using windows 8.1. They have almost got me to go win 10, full screen app list on tablet mode is half way there. Make that available in desktop mode and I might switch. That start menu still blows.

As long as it is optional, that is all I really care about. The current Start menu in Win 10 works perfect for me. Took me a few minutes of right click deleting icons on initial setup, but otherwise looks just like a start menu should.

Do people really talk to their desktop computer? The whole idea of speech recognition seems to be rather ill-conceived at the desktop except maybe for people with disabilities.

Do people really talk to their desktop computer? The whole idea of speech recognition seems to be rather ill-conceived at the desktop except maybe for people with disabilities.

It's actually pretty useful for certain kinds of quick hit tasks, web searches, setting calendar items, sending text messages without have to grab the phone.

I really hope they implement Aero Glass on the titlebar, if it is present in some areas, why not the titlebar and window like most people wanted? Still dislike the flat look of the window.

None of us are used to talking to our computer. It feels weird and is still very limited in capabilities. We are nowhere near a HAL experience.
Who knows, maybe in 5-10 years from now we will be so used to talking to our computers that we can't imagine not doing it.
I started using computers before mice were available. I was probably 17 or 18 years old when I used my first mouse (on a Commodore Amiga). It's kind of hard to imagine not using a mouse now.

scotty_star_trek_iv_hello_computer_talking_mouse_animated_if_siri.gif

Back