Latest Win10 update and command prompt box.

Mekanic01

Gawd
I installed the latest update for Windows 10 the other day, and now at random time the command prompt window will come up. It doesn't stay up, but it will flash on the screen for a split second and disappear. I can't see what it's doing, it flashes by that fast. I can't even see for sure that is what the window is, but it's in the same spot that window usually would come up during it's use.

It will come up at random times, either while browsing or even during gaming.

I can't freeze it, as it is gone that fast.

Any ideas as to what is going on?

Wouldn't we all like to know what is going on in the background of Windows 10. :rolleyes: It is probably applying a script that has been queued up to finalize a recently installed update package. With their new update process, you never really know when an applied update is really done. You may have to leave windows running for some arbitrary amount of time, reboot, wait some more, reboot... you get the idea until it is "done" sigh.

I installed the latest update for Windows 10 the other day, and now at random time the command prompt window will come up. It doesn't stay up, but it will flash on the screen for a split second and disappear. I can't see what it's doing, it flashes by that fast. I can't even see for sure that is what the window is, but it's in the same spot that window usually would come up during it's use.

It will come up at random times, either while browsing or even during gaming.

I can't freeze it, as it is gone that fast.

Any ideas as to what is going on?

Which Update for Windows 10 are you referring to? The last one I received and installed was the May rollup and I haven't experienced what you describe.

Jot down the next time you see it and go through event viewer and task scheduler's last run time to cross reference. Is this computer on a domain?

Wouldn't we all like to know what is going on in the background of Windows 10. :rolleyes: It is probably applying a script that has been queued up to finalize a recently installed update package. With their new update process, you never really know when an applied update is really done. You may have to leave windows running for some arbitrary amount of time, reboot, wait some more, reboot... you get the idea until it is "done" sigh.

Or perhaps you could stop looking through your biased eyes and actually take the time to help. That said, I recommend opening the task manager, going to the startup tab and then disabling everything listed there and reboot. Also, take a look at the event viewer after it happens to see if any system or application event was noted at that moment.

Edit: oops, I did not see the person above had already suggested the event viewer, sorry about that.

I recommend the usual virus/malware scans as a start.

Event viewer is ok for diagnosing certain faults, but it's an overkill in this scenario, try the Reliability Monitor. Hit Start and begin typing 'Reliability' without the quotes, click on Reliability Monitor when it pops up and see what it says.

Is MSconfig still a thing? If it's a box that pops up every time you boot, check out your startup items and then msconfig items.

Is MSconfig still a thing? If it's a box that pops up every time you boot, check out your startup items and then msconfig items.

It still exists, but a lot of MSconfig functionality is incorporated in Task Manager now and vastly improved in relation to usability.

This happened to a friend of mine who tracked down the reason and it turned out to be related to MS Office installing/updating - despite the fact they neither own or attempted to install office in the first place 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ

Reactions: blkt
like this
I am experiencing that pop up as well. Noticed it yesterday and it happened a few more times.

I just noticed that there was a new Office install yesterday in my Programs and Features List, Microsoft One Note and Office 16 Home and Student. I didn't install that, so it must have been included in an update.

I also see that my Office 2010 Pro has an install date of 5/28/17, so that program was probably updated yesterday.

Last edited:
like this
Or perhaps you could stop looking through your biased eyes and actually take the time to help. That said, I recommend opening the task manager, going to the startup tab and then disabling everything listed there and reboot. Also, take a look at the event viewer after it happens to see if any system or application event was noted at that moment.

Edit: oops, I did not see the person above had already suggested the event viewer, sorry about that.
I thought I was being helpful and replied because it seemed like a problem that would eventually resolve itself.

Certainly I would not recommend wasting time with Event Viewer which usually creates more questions than answers. Definitely I would not make an absurd recommendation such as disabling -everything- from Startup which may interfere with the update process among other things.

It is not very comforting to know MS is trying to update Office on machines that don't have it installed. All of this could have been avoided if we were given the option to select which updates are installed. He may have to track down which recent updates relate to Office for uninstall and then prevent from reinstalling in the future.

I thought I was being helpful and replied because it seemed like a problem that would eventually resolve itself.

Certainly I would not recommend wasting time with Event Viewer which usually creates more questions than answers. Definitely I would not make an absurd recommendation such as disabling -everything- from Startup which may interfere with the update process among other things.

It is not very comforting to know MS is trying to update Office on machines that don't have it installed. All of this could have been avoided if we were given the option to select which updates are installed. He may have to track down which recent updates relate to Office for uninstall and then prevent from reinstalling in the future.

When it comes to Windows 10 Office is odd and from what I can gather Office 2016 is installed as a usable, time limited trial - But it is installed by default. The biggest problem is if you try to install an older version of Office on a clean install of WIndows 10 (Office 2013), even after uninstalling Office 2016 using Programs and Features you will find that Office 2013 does not install as Office 2016 is still not completely removed even though you just uninstalled it! You have to go to the Microsoft site and download their Office removal tool, run the tool and then you can install Office - From what I can gather it's just another attempt by Microsoft to lock people into their subscription range of Office products as all the way through the procedure it keeps flaunting Office365.

like this
When it comes to Windows 10 Office is odd and from what I can gather Office 2016 is installed as a usable, time limited trial - But it is installed by default. The biggest problem is if you try to install an older version of Office on a clean install of WIndows 10 (Office 2013), even after uninstalling Office 2016 using Programs and Features you will find that Office 2013 does not install as Office 2016 is still not completely removed even though you just uninstalled it! You have to go to the Microsoft site and download their Office removal tool, run the tool and then you can install Office - From what I can gather it's just another attempt by Microsoft to lock people into their subscription range of Office products as all the way through the procedure it keeps flaunting Office365.
Wow...just wow. Thanks!

Office 2016 is NOT installed as a trial on ANY Windows 10 installations from scratch. One an OEM computer, you may see Office 365 trial but that would be about it. However, that said, hopefully, doing a repair install of whatever Office version the customer has installed will fix the issues. Also, from the post above this one, I said to disable all the things from the startup tab of the task manager, which replaces the MSConfig startup tab. It will not break anything and help eliminate the possibility of what is causing the issue.

MSConfig still exists and everything is still there except the startup tab, which was moved to the task manager. (Actually, the tab is there but, all it has is a task manager button.)

Yes it is. I install older MS Office suites under Windows 10 all the time and I have not imagined Office 2016 (which is Office 365 with '16 being the latest version of Office) being present in Programs and Features. Uninstalling it to install older suites is not enough and you have to use the Office removal tool available from Microsoft before older suites will install.

Don't sit there and call me a liar.

Seriously dude, one of these days, you are going to have to learn to use the words I was wrong without getting so defensive. Office 2016 is not installed on a clean install of Windows 10, any version at all. It may be installed on an OEM computer or an OEM restore image but not from a clean install of Windows 10, not on this planet, at least.

Office 2016 is NOT installed as a trial on ANY Windows 10 installations from scratch. One an OEM computer, you may see Office 365 trial but that would be about it. However, that said, hopefully, doing a repair install of whatever Office version the customer has installed will fix the issues. Also, from the post above this one, I said to disable all the things from the startup tab of the task manager, which replaces the MSConfig startup tab. It will not break anything and help eliminate the possibility of what is causing the issue.

You are right, however once that trial is installed and has run out it is impossible to remove without the Microsoft Office removal tool to install an older Office suite, once installed Office 365 (Office 2016) can not be uninstalled fully using Programs and Features.

[EDIT]: Note how my original post has been deleted, you are at least partially right.

Back