Lates Sun java is slow

dark_mark

n00b
My wife plays card games at yahoo. The latest update for java from Sun makes her wonder why we bothered to get broadband. It is painfully slow. I thought she was joking until I watched her do it one time. I tracked down the oooold MS java machine and installed it on her computer. Now her games fire up almost instantly. This is progress? This is better code? Perhaps Sun needs to rethink their strategy. I am not a MS !!!!!! but at least they had that working better.

Try the jrockit jvm from Bea. It has slower initial loading but should run faster because it doesn't JIT compile. The MS JVM was my preference too, but it's a little long in the tooth now.

dark_mark said:
My wife plays card games at yahoo. The latest update for java from Sun makes her wonder why we bothered to get broadband. It is painfully slow. I thought she was joking until I watched her do it one time. I tracked down the oooold MS java machine and installed it on her computer. Now her games fire up almost instantly. This is progress? This is better code? Perhaps Sun needs to rethink their strategy. I am not a MS !!!!!! but at least they had that working better.
You can thank Sun for that. This just adds to my argument that everyone wants to bitch about MS for one reason or another, but in most cases, they're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Thanks, jrockit seems to be working well. Although it still uses tiny fonts for my wife's games at Yahoo.

Hell I definitely prefer the M$ java over the stupid sun java. And people complain about Microsoft not giving choices...sure they do. They never prevent you from installing other browsers, media players, etc.. But Sun took M$ to court and prevented them from allowing users that WANT to install their java software to do so. Downright rediculous...

Back