Late to the game.. just got my Vertex 2 120GB.

plac

Gawd
Late to the game.. just got my Vertex 2 120GB. Was an upgrade in disk space to my 1rst generation Intel X25 80GB at least.. Not sure if these specs really look proper. One note, my system has never been able to get to Windows when ACPI disk mode is set in bios. I always have to set it to IDE to get it to boot. Does this have any effect on performance?

vertex2.jpg

Last edited:
I think you mean AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface) and yes, it can have an effect on the performance of a high speed hard drive or SSD. I recently did some testing when installing a new (actually refurbished but new to the customer) Corsair Force F120 (Sandforce controller) 120GB SSD for a customer in a Gateway branded laptop.

In testing, the performance was literally capped at about 140MB/s on reads and writes and the only thing I noted was the "Compatibility" or IDE mode. Once I realized that, I rebooted the laptop, went back into the BIOS, altered the setting to AHCI mode, reinstalled the OS (was easier at that point since I'd wrecked the installation with all the testing, etc), and then retested and the performance shot up to 274MB/s read max and 248MB/s write max.

The issue is that with the drive on the "Compatibility" or IDE mode, it's going to limit the top end since even the fastest IDE or ATA (same thing) speeds were 150MB/s theoretically.

So yes, not using AHCI can have a dramatic effect on performance, but also having the most current drivers for not only the motherboard chipset but also the hard drive controllers on the board as well can also play into the entire equation. Also, ACHI mode seems to (note I'm saying "seems to") have a link with ACPI and power management as well. Using the older Compatibility/IDE mode could lead - that's could lead to a loss of potential battery life as well.

Definitely get the AHCI mode working at all costs, that's my advice. I know the Vertex 2 isn't as fast as some of the latest SSDs, but it should still offer somewhat higher performance than your results are showing. Every little bit helps... no pun intended. ;)

And if you're testing your SSD, you're better off with either AS SSD (designed specifically for SSDs), ATTO Benchmark, or Crystal Disk Mark - HDTach is fairly old, hasn't been updated in many years, and HDTune (note the difference: HDTach and HDTune are different apps) has some issues reporting with SSD speeds so I have learned to avoid it.

In device properties:

Enable write caching on the device IS checked.

Driver tab: Microsoft driver 6/21/2006 6.1.7600.16385

I'm not using my SATA 6GB ports on the motherboard because I figured there would be no point.

bump to get more opinions on this disk and if there is something wrong with my settings.

i think this disk is even slower than my first generation intel 80gb ssd.

and anyone versed in the Asus P8P67 Deluxe SATA ports might know if one is any better than the other.

maybe this drive could use some new firmware?

I also determined i can't do the trick to make sure AHCI is enabled and then reinstall my OS. Because it WAS enabled as i built the system.. yet it would never get to Windows desktop.. and only after i disabled it, i got to desktop immediately..

so if my AHCI doesnt work on a fresh build enabled, then i dont know how i can get it to work..

New Firmware just came out today for the Vertex 2 SF drives. Tons of fixes...

compare to my sony vaio Z bench on 128gb ssd (raided 64 + 64)

sonyvaioZbench.jpg

vertex2-2.jpg

Last edited:
oh DAMN... it says the drive cant be your OS drive to use the tool, which of course mine is...

can i remove the drive, plug it into an external drive bay and use my laptop to update its firmware?

well i confirmed OCZ Toolbox doesnt detect the SSD drive when its in the external adapter thru USB... so i cant update it. i dont have any other OS drives to boot up from.

UPDATE.. i bought a 1TB cheap drive just so i can update this SSD and see if its any better.

Last edited:
it isnt working... went thru a LOT of trouble cloning the OS disk and booting off a slow disk.

Ive used the tool twice. The firmware is 1.28. I cannot get it to go to 1.32 at all...

Finally got OCZ new firmware installed, and i also managed to get my AHCI mode enabled in Windows. Scores arent much better. Just a little.

20 more burst.
10 more average read.
maybe ill just sell this drive..

in the bottom pic the READs got a lot better, but the WRITES didnt really change.

vertex2-3.jpg

vertex2-4.jpg

Last edited:
and showing i got a big DECREASE in speed by using the Intel white SATA 3 port for my SSD..

vertex2-5.jpg

...and this is why you don't buy OCZ. ;)

Seriously, there are a ton of threads here on these pieces of crap.

This is good to know, but it really doesn't tell us anything we don't already know about OCZ SSDs from this generation and the next.

You would have been much better off staying with Intel, imo.

Do what you can with this and I hope it works out for you, but next time you may want to go with Corsair or another brand.

...and this is why you don't buy OCZ. ;)

Seriously, there are a ton of threads here on these pieces of crap.

This is good to know, but it really doesn't tell us anything we don't already know about OCZ SSDs from this generation and the next.

You would have been much better off staying with Intel, imo.

Do what you can with this and I hope it works out for you, but next time you may want to go with Corsair or another brand.

ya i should have learned from my first OCZ drive.. the cost lures me in.. my intel x25 80gb was faster.

so... ill keep this thing until the 3rd gen intels come out, then maybe splurge for a 128GB or 256GB. Even with games 128GB is probably enough for my primary drive.

this drive aint SLOW, don't get me wrong.. i ran a 1TB WD green caviar last night during imaging. that thing took 3 mins to fully load the desktop. This OCZ takes 45 seconds.

I also want the 600GB Raptor with sata 3 but thats another story for later.

Even this one muist be better than the OCZ..

Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1 128GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$249.99

Last edited:
No Reason to keep that OCZ till the 3rd gen intel's come out since newegg stocks them already. Still at a premium, but considering you should be within your return period for that OCZ it doesn't make sense to keep it.

And yes the c300 is much better & more consistent.

No Reason to keep that OCZ till the 3rd gen intel's come out since newegg stocks them already. Still at a premium, but considering you should be within your return period for that OCZ it doesn't make sense to keep it.

And yes the c300 is much better & more consistent.

naw, i cant return the ocz.. already sent in my UPC rebate form. Microcenter was specific telling me make sure youre keeping it before you cut up that box. The box is long gone and trashed by now.

I will have to try selling on craiglist for maybe 1/3 off.. I didnt know newegg already sold intel gen 3... i kinda wanted to wait for microcenter to stock it, i llike shopping there locally..

Oh that sucks. Hopefully you already got a good deal on it. And mc will probably have the 3rd gen intel drives soon.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh that sucks. Hopefully you already got a good deal on it. And mc will probably have the 3rd gen intel drives soon.
Posted via Mobile Device

was an ok deal on sale.. $219 and then a $20 rebate.. so about $199.. i could prob get $160 for it used around these parts..

testing the waters in my local craiglist for now. i suppose even the 600gb raptor SATA 3 10k rpm wouldnt even begin to compete with these speeds...

Your Vertex 2 is flawed. It has 107 GB instead of the expected +/- 111-112GB. It is made of 64GB nand instead of 32 GB. OCZ will replace it for free with cross shipping. It's a lot of trouble but you will end up with a bigger (5GB more) and slightly faster drive even though it won't be 34 nm nand but 25 nm slower and lower life expectancy nand. Check this link I went through this process and my confidence to OCZ was hurt to say the least because it took them quite sometime to acknowledge to issue.

Edit : typo

Last edited:
Your Vertex 2 is flawed. It has 107 GB instead of the expected +/- 111-112GB. It is made of 64GB nand instead of 32 GB. OCZ will replace it for free with cross shipping. It's a lot of trouble but you will end up with a bigger (5GB more) and slightly faster drive even though it won't be 34 nm nand but 25 nm slower and lower life expectancy nand. Check this link I went through this process and my confidence to OCZ was hurt to say the least because it took them quite sometime to acknowledge to issue.

Edit : typo

great info, but not worth the hassle to me personally.

Just for testing purposes I reran the CrystalDiskMark v3 test after about 6 months of daily gaming, photo editing, large data transfers, and general web browser/office work.

Test with both 0Fill and 1Fill just to make sure.
and my drive is actually performing slightly fastest now that it's 30% full....

6mo_ssd_cdm.jpg

I don't understand why people get slow speeds out of the OCZ Vertex 2...I get advertised speeds and believe me, for 6 months my machine has been smoking fast.
Follow OCZs directions on setup and configuring windows and you'll get daily reliable speeds.

It's due to how some of their SSDs have been manufactured.

Even though they have the same name, some are using the slower chips and OCZ just 'fails' to mention this to the consumer.

In the end, it's a crap shoot to see if you get the good model or the cheap model.

It's good that you get those speeds, but many, many other people do not and they have the same model.

Vote with your wallet and don't vote OCZ! ;)

I have removed my OCZ 120GB SSD drive and am looking for a local sale.

I am holding out for my local Microcenter to get some gen 3 stuff in stock. I guess the 256GB Intel 510 series is my safest bet if im gonna buy a drive once and be set for a while.

even tho the OCZ Vertex 3 stuff looked good, I just cant trust them anymore, especially given the shady internals thread i read.

Back