last upgrade before I rebuild

rcf1987

2[H]4U
wanna upgrade my pc one last time before i rebuild its been pretty good to me lasted me about 3 years. was thinkin 6850, I don't wanna get anything to powerful my e5200 is a little slow even at 3.06. I usually game at 1080p on my monitor but lately its been 720p on my tv. is there a better deal than the 6850 in the 125ish price range?

The only upgrade I can realistically suggest to you, if you haven't gotten one already, is an SSD, preferably non-Sandforce, and preferably SATA III to better utilize a new board with 6Gbps ports.

You don't have 8GB of RAM, and you missed the boat on getting 8GB of DDR2 for cheap. DDR2 is now an End-of-Life item and you can get 16GB of DDR3-1600 for cheaper than 8GB of DDR2.

Your best option I'm afraid is to hold off altogether on adding much else, and try to save money for a rebuild. But if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, you can't go wrong with a ~128GB Samsung 830, Intel 520, or Crucial M4. At least you're guaranteed at being able to godfather it to a new system.

do not waste your money on a gpu upgrade with that cpu. it will help in some games at 1080 but is not worth it overall as your cpu will hold back the jump severally. at 720, you will never see the difference with a faster gpu than your current 4870 while using that E5200.

coming from experience going from a 4870 to a 6870 was a noticeable jump in performance. Granted i had a faster cpu as well (phenom quad [email protected])

Your at the point right now were it would be best to look at a total upgrade ie cpu/ram/mobo/gpu

Sure you can pick up a new Gpu now and have some performance gains, but really its your cpu which is going to bottle neck your Fps the most at least in modern games.

Honestly i would wait until Ivy Bridge comes out, and the rest of the 7XXX series cards are launched. You will then be able to find a much better deal as far as performance/dollar is concerned.

Tbh if you want some cheap upgrades you can upgrade your dual core to a quad which will cost you about $40 and should be a fair bit better....

Also you could upgrade your graphics card to 5870 / 6950 type level and still notice a massive increase with no major CPU bottleneck (Bf3 will bottleneck a bit even with a quad core at 3.3ghz but still FAR better then your core2duo)....

Other then that you could just upgrade your whole mobo, cpu, ram etc. which will obviously be much better but tbh an overclocked quad core and a new graphics card would make a massive difference and would be cheap upgrade.

Back