• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Last thread before I purchase.

soldierblue

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 20, 2010
Messages
358
After trying several less expensive displays, I'm ready to step it up and try to get the monitor I'm gonna be using for the next 2-3 years. Here's my final list:

1) Dell U2711 ($790 from Amazon).
2) Samsung S27A850D ($750 from B&H).
3) HP ZR2740w ($670 from B&H).

I'm not interested in the Korean displays due to quality and support concerns. But past that, I'm being pretty indecisive between the three.

I pretty much don't care about AG coating, I probably would've already bough an 850D if I hadn't heard so much about backlight bleed and I'd probably be more comfortable with the 2740 if it had a full scaler.

What do you guys think?
 
You probably want to add the new Dell U2713 to the list for monitors being considered.
 
The Samsung has lower input lag than the Dell and it's not grainy, easy win.
 
To be honest soldierblue it is barely noticeable after a while and they are great, fast, well designed and good quality screens. I go with NCX on this one.
 
Also, does anyone know Samsung's pixel policy? That's something that I liked about the HP.
 
Do you need a new monitor immediately?

I mentioned the S27B970D in another similar thread, but if you can wait a little while, why not just wait for it to come down in price? It's already been listed once at < $800 from a retailer (although not for long)... during the next couple of months, it wouldn't surprise me if it got down to S27A850D prices. And then your risk of bleed will be minimized. Unless you don't want glossy regardless.

From what people have said here, the bleed still exists on the S27A850D, but it's less common than the 24" version. If you do get it, just get it from a place with a good return policy. That way, even if it had dead pixels, or more bleed than you like, simply return to the retailer and don't worry what samsung's policy is.
 
I'm putting an order in probably today. This have been a month long process already, I could wait, but I'd rather not. I think if I waited, it'd be for the 2713. I just have pretty low confidence in Samsung in general.
 
I got the Dell, the panel is fine but the service tag is invalid, so I can't get warranty or tech support.
 
I got the Dell, the panel is fine but the service tag is invalid, so I can't get warranty or tech support.

A Dell panel purchased on Amazon can be transfered to Dell, so that your warranty info will show up when you log on the Dell website. Just call them and request it. Onlydraw back is you can't purchase any additional warranty through Dell. And anything purchased on Amazon is considered a "Corporate" purchase, not sure how that affects support and warranty though.
 
A Dell panel purchased on Amazon can be transfered to Dell, so that your warranty info will show up when you log on the Dell website. Just call them and request it. Onlydraw back is you can't purchase any additional warranty through Dell. And anything purchased on Amazon is considered a "Corporate" purchase, not sure how that affects support and warranty though.

They kind of gave me the runaround. It's not an issue where the service tag appears registered to Amazon as an entity, it's an issue where the service tag brings up absolutely nothing on their end.
 
Just to update, Dell validated the tag. I'm not sure I really like the display, but that's another matter altogether.
 
Back
Top