Last piece of the puzzle (buying tomorrow)

Drakul

Limp Gawd
Hi folks I can't seem to settle down on the mobo for this build. I'm set on everything else.

CPU Haswell i7 4770k
Heatsink Noctua NH-U14S
GPU MSI GTX 760 TF 2GD5 OC
PSU Seasonic SS-660XP2
RAM 2x8GB DDR3 1600 G.skill Ares
SSD Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
HDD WD Black 2TB
Blu-ray Burner Pioneer BDR-209DBK
Tower Corsair Obsidian 550D
OS Windows 8.1 64bit OEM

I won't OC and what the features I'm looking for are pretty basic: PWM Fans, good sound chipset, SATA 6 ofc... that's about it.

I would go for the MSI Z87 G43 but MicroCenter doesn't carry so I was thinking about the G45 instead.
However as some pointed out it's a bit overkill for my build and the G41 seems completely unreliable so that's out. Someone recommended the ASUS H87M-PLUS/CSM but I can't seem to find any reviews on it so I'm not sure.
I really don't need an overkill board but most reviews online are for higher-end ones so it's hard to make a decision.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maximus VI Hero, Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H or UD3H. MSI and Asrock are now and have always been second tier products in my opinion though I'm sure you will get plenty of recommendations for them.

Maximus VI Hero, Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H or UD3H. MSI and Asrock are now and have always been second tier products in my opinion though I'm sure you will get plenty of recommendations for them.

Those seem kind of overboard for my config since I don't OC. I don't how MSI is second tier either.

I would recommend the Asrock Z87 PRO4. Gets you full atx, SLI / Crossfire expansion, 4 mem slots, and intel NIC.

First off, very excellent choices across the board. Hats off to you sir.

What are your goals for this build (ie. what will you need until the next build)? Ever plan to SLI? You already mentioned no OCing. Are you gaming? Software development? Casual user? These all will affect what motherboard you should purchase.

First off, very excellent choices across the board. Hats off to you sir.

What are your goals for this build (ie. what will you need until the next build)? Ever plan to SLI? You already mentioned no OCing. Are you gaming? Software development? Casual user? These all will affect what motherboard you should purchase.

Yeah sorry for not detailing (I made a main thread in general)

No plan to SLI
Gaming (MMO, FPS, HnS, Witcher... point n clicks...)
Some video editing (action!, Vegas Pro)
Regular browsing and media watching (PS3 Media server and such)

the board definitely looks interesting but I'm a bit concerned about reliability.

I wouldn't have any issues with reliability with AsRock boards. If you are not going to overclock, this should be as solid as any other Z87 board.

For my non-OC builds, I typically go with Biostar or MSI myself, but since you were looking for Microcenter stock, I recommended this board.

For my non-OC builds, I typically go with Biostar or MSI myself, but since you were looking for Microcenter stock, I recommended this board.

Well the boards I mentionned are in stock at my MC. That's why I listed the MSI G45 because otherwise I would have probably gotten the G43 instead.

Hey man! In Computer Land the Good Ole American Syndrome applies; "Bigger is better." There is no such thing as overkill. The only restraints we have are the shallowness of our pockets. Seriously, purchase the MoBo U R comfortable with.

Hey man! In Computer Land the Good Ole American Syndrome applies; "Bigger is better." There is no such thing as overkill. The only restraints we have are the shallowness of our pockets. Seriously, purchase the MoBo U R comfortable with.

LOL Ain't that the turth!

Anyway I just got back from MC and true to fashion changed my mind at the last minute. I got the Asus z87-A :)

MC might become addicting.

Nah I'm pretty good at not updating every other month :)

In Paris there's actually a whole neighborhood of shops that sell computer parts and I didn't upgrade all that often back then either.

Back