Last part of building my computer

Pendragon

n00b
Alright, I've nearly gotten all the parts for my new computer, but I still have one problem: connecting to the internet. I currently have a Linksys 54G router on another computer downstairs. I don't really get a strong signal on my laptop from my room, but it only has 802.11b card.

Now, the problem is that because I'm on the second floor of my house, it'd be rather difficult to run a cat5 cable to my router, so I'm thinking about a wireless card. Which one would you reccomend for gaming?

I've had good luck with several different brands. Linksys, Lucent/Avaya, Cisco.

This is sort of an opinion based question, I'm sure others will have a different answer.

Are you set on a card? How about a USB based adapter?

Without a strong signal, just about anything is going to be rather... interesting to game on.

Now that we've got that out of the way - I'd have to recommend the Encore PCI ENLWI-G-RLAM.

Product Details:
http://www.encore-usa.com/product.php?id=94&lang=

It may look to be on the cheap side but I've been running one rock solid for two weeks now with no problems what so ever. You can't really beat the price either. A coworker of mine found that at www.turboled.com for $20 when he meant to purchase a PCMCIA card. They sent him the PCI card instead -- but no worries, instead of sending it back I bought it from him and it's been a champ since. Just make sure that -if- you order from turboled you make sure you get the PCI version of the ENLWI-G-RLAM. Talk to them on the phone if you can. Confirmed working in XP SP2 with full 128bit WEP and WPA enabled via both their driver utility and XP Zeroconfig.

Now as far as other choices;

Seems there is a mass-rebate on DLink cards at Newegg, which makes this one quite appealing.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-127-145&depa=0

$39.99 up-front with a $10.00 mail-in rebate.

.11b, .11g, doesn't make the difference. The receive sensitivity of the radiator and the power to that radiator is what determines range and the like. In essence, the quality of the radio. As mentioned, if your having trouble already then you may very well have trouble with any new card. A PCI card is probably the last choice you want to make if your coverage is suspect already. If it has a detachable antenna then it might not be bad buying it but you may have to add an aftermarket antenna later on.

Back