• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Last minute cold feet.

UnknownSouljer

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Sep 24, 2001
Messages
9,041
So I'm going to buy my receiver tommorow (no matter what!), and I was pretty well set on getting the Denon 785s. But now I'm having second thoughts after going over Denon's full product line...

Anyway, [H] members put my mind at ease, should I buy:
785s
885s
2105s

Next let me tell you why I was reconcidering... the "Home Theater" section seems to have more inputs per price point than the "Specialty Audio" section does. Those four models aren't that far appart on price, but for someone like me, spending less helps out a lot. I'm pretty sure that for my uses the 785s would be enough, but I can't help wanting to have more optical ins for the future. (I mean my LD player, DVD player, and PS2 is already 3, not to mention wanting to use optical for the PC too...)

I'll be using this as my audio system for my PC and for movies, music, and possibly sound editing in the future. Speakers are already purchased, and I have a 5.0 system (no .1 yet, subwoofer is having to wait as I want to buy something nice). For reference I have 4x Polk Audio R30s and a Polk Audio CS245i Center channel.

I also have a second question about speaker wire. I was just going to go to Best Buy and buy the 16 guage Accoustic Research home theater cabling setup. Is this a good option? Would it be better to go for 14 guage (I only found in-wall 14 guage, but obviously I could use that outside of a wall). The acoustic research bundle I was looking at came with 5 pieces of wire at different lengths to facilitate a 5.1 system. I'm trying to avoid monster cable as I have political problems with them, and info on Speaker wire would be very much appreciated. I'm looking to spend $100 or less on wire preferably in the $50 range if at all possible. (starving student, $50 is a lot to me!)

Any info would be most appreciated.
 
I won't get into the reciever part too much, but I will say that looking at connectivity over bells and whistles is perfectly logical.

If your willing to think outside the box, you can go to Home Depot and buy regular 'ol power cable. Carol is a good solid brand, not fancy (or expensive) like Belden or Canare. Look for the stuff with a nice thick yet flexible rubber jacket and two conductors. I use this stuff around the house. Never could tell a difference form my Nordost stuff.

You can also buy extension cords and just strip the ends off. You can just strip the ends off and insert them bare. This is incase you find good deals, or just like a certain color :D

16awg is OK for smaller speakers, but if you plan on using tower speakers then 14awg would be better, especially for long distance. However 16awg can handle a good amount of power.
 
westrock - speaks wisely about speaker wire.

And to add to it, if you want to make you power cables appear more like high-end wire you can add your own bannana plugs. Parts Express carries a bunch. NOTE: this will not do ANYTHING to improve the sound quality, it just makes things look cleaner and if you swap parts alot, makes things easier.

I have a Denon 3805 and it has been a GREAT reciever, it is my first Denon. As for the ones you listed, I only researched the 2105 which looks like a great deal of a receiver. If you think you will be expanded your need for inputs within the next 3 years you will do yourself a great service getting a reciever that will grow with you system.
 
I think it's funny that in the other catergories directly underneith the Carol wire, is Sound King 14ga speaker wire. :p I guess they knew a lot of poople took that route, it seems that the Sound King is about the same price.
 
UnknownSouljer said:
I think it's funny that in the other catergories directly underneith the Carol wire, is Sound King 14ga speaker wire. :p I guess they knew a lot of poople took that route, it seems that the Sound King is about the same price.

I actually like the Sound King stuff, mainly cause I wanted clear insulator. Looks better laying against hardwood floors than white wire.
 
Back
Top